Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ZAMA carb

View previous topic :: View next topic  
George Marsh
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: ZAMA carb Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Working on a 25 cc Weed Eater. It will run fine at 1/2 throttle and 1/2 choke. Running lean if I remove choke or increase speed. There appears to be places where adjustable jets were, even marked L & H, but they appear to be plugged off.

Took carb apart many times and blew it down. No improvement.

What does a person do? Don't have a gun.
George

rrobert
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:06 pm    Post subject: buy a new carb Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Some of those carbs are cheap($25) to buy new. A diaphram kit is about $12 which is a good idea to install if you are opening it up. The diaphram(fuel pump, round aluminum on it) should be dry on one side and wet on the other. If it is wet on both sides, it is no good.

I can't tell from that pic but I have cut notches in the adjustment screws and tried adjusting it. I can't tell if those are permanent or adjustable.

If it is more than 4 years old, I would cut losses and buy a new machine. The $100 one's from Walmart, Home Depot, Sears and Lowes are disposable. If you get 3 troublefree years out of them, you have done well.

George Marsh
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: buy a new carb Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just trying to fix it for another person..my guess is the weed eater isn't worth $25.

No adjustments on what looks like jets.

George Marsh
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: ZAMA carb Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Went on line and checked out ZAMA web sight. It says that it requires a special tool to adj the carb and they don't sell the tool.

Any idea where to find the special tool?

rrobert
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:12 pm    Post subject: small engine shop Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Might sell the tool. I have seen some that are half moons and others that are splined 12+ points like a torx.

I just used a thin grinding disc on a dremel and cut a slot so I could adjust it with a flat screwdriver.

I couldn't get either carb to work so I scrapped the machine.

One thing you should check is the exhaust. Remove the muffler and see if it runs properly. There is a spark arrestor screen that will get clogged with carbon. Either remove it or clean it.

rrobert
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:14 pm    Post subject: ps Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Be careful with the yellow lever. I broke the last one I worked on and had to patch it back together.

George Marsh
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: small engine shop Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Went to ebay and found the tool for $7.97 including shipping. Ordered one.

joe csuti
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: ZAMA carb Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If this carb is built same/similar to most walbro carbs an easily/usually over looked item in carb is the 100 mesh screen filter pressed into a cavity in carb body(I don't remember if it's under pump diaphram or metering diaphram)if this screen gets dirty/gummed up it will make eng run lean or not at all without choke,if carb has screen you can clean by carefully removing same from carb body,soaking in carb cleaner then blow out from backside & reinstall or goto link below & type 38-8121 in search,screens are priced each,but only sold in 10 pack,also while there click on chainsaw & look at zama rebuild kits,see if any for your mod# carb.
zama

rrobert
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: forgot to mention Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Also, check the fuel line inside the gas tank. The fuel line and return line will look fine on the outside of the tank but be rotten/cracked inside the tank. Replace with line from a small engine shop. Don't mix the lines up.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Garden Tractors All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.