Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Question on discing crops under.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
IaGary

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:49 am    Post subject: Question on discing crops under. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What is the advantage to do so?

Does it save nutriants for next years crop?

Thinking about it but I don't want the soil to erode either.

I have a lot of acres of corn that are brown with no ears.

Never have had to think about this before in my 38 years of farming.

Gary

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Question on discing crops under. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've been wondering about the wisdom of it too. Unless it's just some kind of a pride thing. They don't want the neighbors to see such a mess. Even though the neighbors looks the same way. Or maybe getting even. "Not gonna make a crop? TAKE THAT!".

Animal
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Question on discing crops under. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would think shredding it would make more sense.. Microbs are supposed to die at 120 degress and I would think the ground cover would be better than bare soil, just my opinion.

paul
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Question on discing crops under. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Wouldn't be the thing to do in my clay, but on uncharted territory so not sure what is right?

Sorry to hear of it for you, just unbelievable how the year has gone. Was checking my fields the last couple days from what all I hear, one field has good kernal set, some others are still pollenating so can't really tell yet.

How'd you do in 1988, dad said that;s the worse he was ever through, I had a field with just a few kernals per cob. All my high ground was like that too.

--->Paul

IaGary

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Question on discing crops under. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

In 88 I had fields that made 150 and higher lighter soils that made 50.

Don't think I will average 50 this year.

It hit later in 88. After pollenation.

The first week of June I said this crop looks to good. Something is gonna go wrong. It did.
Gary

keh
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Question on discing crops under. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't think a crop takes up much fertilizer when it's dry. I've fertilized pastures well with chicken litter the last 2 years, which were dry, about like Gary describes. I sold cows, bought some back in the winter. This year we had good early rain, not great, but good, and adequate rainfall so far this summer. The grass has grown and is dark green and tall. I don't think turning the crop under wiil hurt and it might help keep fertilizer. I would do soil tests before applying fertilizer next year, you might not need as much as usual.

KEH

Larry NEIL
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Question on discing crops under. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Gary, real sorry tohear that for You and all others in the same boat. Mother nature sure has pooped all over a lot of folks this year!!

Larry NEIL

davemk
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Question on discing crops under. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

IaGary wrote:
(quoted from post at 06:49:18 07/21/12) What is the advantage to do so?

Does it save nutriants for next years crop?

Thinking about it but I don't want the soil to erode either.

I have a lot of acres of corn that are brown with no ears.

Never have had to think about this before in my 38 years of farming.

Gary

There is a lot of P&K in those corn stalks, so yes it does save nutrients for next years crop.

If you put any P&K on the ground this year a lot of it will still be in the ground because the corn plant did not use it.

Last edited by davemk on Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
paul
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Question on discing crops under. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Feel for you, I'm not too far behind. The radar shows 1/2 inch rains around every few days, but I'm getting 1 - 2/10th. Not complaining, it's something, but not getting ahead, things going backwards. Way ahead of 88 'here' tho.

Went to an auction SW of me today, they are farming stuff not far away that gravel comes from. Real poor stuff over there, corn is brown & done, beans are pale.

Hope it's not my future, but closer every day.

Again, sorry for your fields, it really gets disappointing on a person.

--->Paul

IaGary

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Question on discing crops under. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had an inch last part of may. 1/2 inch the 5th or so of June. 2 tenths last week of June and that's it. Normal is about 12 inches in that time frame. We were on the dry side this winter and spring as well.

Gary

Eric in IL
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Question on discing crops under. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Lots of "first timers" this year.

Thinking I will try to shell a few spots in each field. I have never tried to set a machine for a cob that only has a dozen kernels though.

If I could stand to look at the mess all winter, I would leave it and no-till beans next year.

Doubt if I can stand it though, will most likely hitch up the batwing.

Wondering just how many nutrients are in the stalks in a drought year. Don't see how there could be many.

Scott in SF

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Question on discing crops under. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would not disc it under now, it will protect the soil from erosion and help perserve moisture from wind and sun. Any chance to put cattle on it, steers just off of mom would love that stuff.

GordoSD
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Question on discing crops under. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You have to have a pretty good base on those fields. What will your crop insurance be per acre? It's public info available on USDA site.

GordoSD
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Question on discing crops under. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Too late to chop it and bag it?

cydectin
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Question on discing crops under. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Nitrogen would be concentrated in the lower stalk, bad for animals as it would poison them. Stalks will have P and K and will hold it until the stalks break down. You probably have nitrogen left in the ground that corn did not use so you might consider a covercrop such as oats or rye to catch the left over N. If you are a tillage farmer, I would disc it later after we possibly get some rain then drill the cover. If you are not against no-till, I would no-till it in. Oats would be a good choice as they would catch the N then freeze out this winter. Where in Iowa are you located. I live in NEMO, 30 miles south of Keokuk just off of HWY 61 at LaGrange and we have been just hanging on all summer. Little rains that were timely but small. Will have some corn, yield is a question. Beans have looked very good and I don't how they have done it. They are headed south now and slim chances of rain. It bad to watch crops die a slow death. Best of luck to you all.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Using Your Tractor & Crop Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters