Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lawn tractors

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vern
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Lawn tractors Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Those of you who are driving hydrostatic drive tractors, what, if any, reason would make you go back to clutch/gear drive tractors?
Vern

kris Jensen
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Lawn tractors Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Vern, I have an older(like me) John Deere (lx186) with hydrostatic drive, and I really like this machine. There is no way i would regress to a clutch setup. I do five lawns a week with it and it is so incredibly easy to use.

willie in mn
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:57 am    Post subject: Re: Lawn tractors Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just a personal thing, others mayhave different thoughts.
I like a clutch/gear drive. Have a J D 112. For mowing use 3rd gear with variator in 2nd notch, set it & relax the foot. For tilling, 1st gear & 3rd notch.
At work many years ago there were 3 forklifts, 2 with clutches, 1 automatic. Would grab one with a clutch if I had choice, easier to control.
On the road I use cruise control when traffic allows, avoids leg cramps.
Willie

MNGB
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: Lawn tractors Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi Vern it depends on what I doing for mowing I love Husqvana Hydro's and its the only way to go for me, for garden work like plowing tilling etc I prefer my Sears Suburban with a clutch and tranny.

wisbaker
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Lawn tractors Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The hydro on my Wheel Horse is sweet for snow blowing but I think I prefer the gear drive Cub 120 (okay a Cub 100 with a K301 motor) or 102 for mowing grass seems on the Wheel Horse I spend to much time trying to get my ground speed were it cuts well then I have to stop or slow down and start all over again.

El Toro
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Lawn tractors Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm sticking with the hydrostaic drive on my 1971 Wards tractor for plowing. Hal

JohnDY
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Lawn tractors Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Haven't had a clutch since the early 80's and wouldn't ever consider wasting my time going back to one.

Vern
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Lawn tractors Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. I have a Cub Cadet GT2542 that is hydrostatic & I love it.
Just wonderin.
Vern

rustyj14
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Lawn tractors Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think the gear drive tractors give better longevity, than thoe so-called automatics.(hydrostatics) Couldn't think of the name of them fer a minute.
RJ

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Garden Tractors All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.