Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

To-30 broken pto shaft

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan Heg

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:06 am    Post subject: To-30 broken pto shaft Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I gave my friend my old brush hog which he put on his to-30...not realising the blade hit the sides when it started.....result...broken pto shaft...located a used shaft... iwas wondering how hard a job it is for a novice to replace this shaft....thanks...Dan

Tony in Mass.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: To-30 broken pto shaft Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The shaft is an easy job. A few minutes with a couple wrenches.
Whatever sort of dent or stove in steel caused the shaft to break will be the hard job. The better brands have a slip clutch between the pto and the gearbox to avoid this expense. Best to turn the whole hog on its side and turn the blade slowly and bring the sides to as close to the original square edges as possibleToo big or small a gap is how the wrong stuff does damage if you don't see it in time.

Jerry/MT
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: To-30 broken pto shaft Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It depends on how the shaft broke. Hopefully the shaft didn"t twist in the pump because then it will have to be cut off in the hydraulic compartment and removed. If it broke off at the outer end and didn"t twist the shft before it broke, it should be an easy fix.

DuKir
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: To-30 broken pto shaft Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My B'Hog does not have a slip clutch. Maybe I've been lucky. How would I size and select a slip clutch for a TO30?

Jerry/MT
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: To-30 broken pto shaft Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It"s sized by pto HP.

Dan Heg

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: To-30 broken pto shaft Reply to specific post Reply with quote

thanks guys...ill pass it on to him....mite hav to go his way next time i go upstate...also told him to get bearings in case they need to be replaced...the shaft broke outside the housing...a good thing im told

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Harry Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.