Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Primer dry-time

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WI Dave
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:40 am    Post subject: Primer dry-time Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm using Case/IH primer and 2150 red. If I prime tonight after work, about 9:30, will I be able to paint 12 hours later, tomorrow morning? The label on the can is gone, otherwise I'd just look there.

Stephen Newell
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Primer dry-time Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I can't find out what the primer is. My instincts leads me to think it is an alkyd primer so I would not topcoat it in 12 hours. An alkyd primer needs 24 hours even in this heat.

kevinj54
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Primer dry-time Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Read the can..........I think you have to re-coat within 3 hours or wait over 24 hours with the case paint.

WI Dave
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Primer dry-time Reply to specific post Reply with quote

kevinj54 wrote:
(quoted from post at 01:06:05 07/26/12)
Read the can..........I think you have to re-coat within 3 hours or wait over 24 hours with the case paint.

Rolling Eyes

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: Primer dry-time Reply to specific post Reply with quote

WI Dave wrote:
(quoted from post at 19:27:53 07/25/12)
kevinj54 wrote:

Rolling Eyes

Happens to all of us, I gave advice for gas yesterday when the poster clearly said diesel

kevinj54
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:35 am    Post subject: Re: Primer dry-time Reply to specific post Reply with quote

WI Dave wrote:
(quoted from post at 23:27:53 07/25/12)
kevinj54 wrote:

Rolling Eyes

OOPS Embarassed just reread his post. Embarassed

The dealer will probably read a label for ya!!!!

I do not have any left or I could read it for you.

gene nehring
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Primer dry-time Reply to specific post Reply with quote

3hr window

WI Dave
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Primer dry-time Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I primed it last night. Went to the dealer today before work and checked out a new can: topcoat within 3 hours or after 48 hours.

GordoSD
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Primer dry-time Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'd go with after 48 hours. I used that primer one time about 10 years ago and it was still soft three weeks later.

Kurt_JDB
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Primer dry-time Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is there an outside window for painting after the primer goes on, can you top coat it a week later?

Kurt

sflem849
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Primer dry-time Reply to specific post Reply with quote

GordoSD wrote:
(quoted from post at 20:42:43 07/26/12) I'd go with after 48 hours. I used that primer one time about 10 years ago and it was still soft three weeks later.

I used it back in 2007 and was really happy with it. I primed on Friday night and painted on Monday because I did it at work.

Stephen Newell
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:08 am    Post subject: Re: Primer dry-time Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I never could find out what type of primer this thread was about. When you use any new paint you should get a specification sheet from the paint supplier. It has the instructions that should be on the can. They don't put much instructions on paint anymore to make room for hazard warnings in three languages. I don't care for alkyd primers but with that type of primer you can paint over it in 24 hours or next year. There is no recoat window. I prefer to use epoxy primers. The recoat window varies from product to product but I think most you should topcoat within 72 hours. After 72 hours it hardens up so much you have to go over it and roughen it up with sandpaper to get good adhesion. Its a lot of work and Epoxy primers don't sand very well so it is usually easier just to put another coat of epoxy primer on if you exceed the recoat window.

Kurt_JDB
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:49 am    Post subject: Re: Primer dry-time Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks. Epoxy primer is what I plan to use. I would like to get a coat on there as I clean the parts up to prevent oxidation, with the plan to top coat later. If I can just shoot another coat of epoxy on there before the topcoat without having to sand/prep again, I'll be a happy guy.

Kurt

sflem849
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:51 am    Post subject: Re: Primer dry-time Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Stephen Newell wrote:
(quoted from post at 04:08:47 08/06/12) I never could find out what type of primer this thread was about. When you use any new paint you should get a specification sheet from the paint supplier. It has the instructions that should be on the can. They don't put much instructions on paint anymore to make room for hazard warnings in three languages. I don't care for alkyd primers but with that type of primer you can paint over it in 24 hours or next year. There is no recoat window. I prefer to use epoxy primers. The recoat window varies from product to product but I think most you should topcoat within 72 hours. After 72 hours it hardens up so much you have to go over it and roughen it up with sandpaper to get good adhesion. Its a lot of work and Epoxy primers don't sand very well so it is usually easier just to put another coat of epoxy primer on if you exceed the recoat window.

WI Dave wrote:
(quoted from post at 09:40:41 07/25/12) I'm using Case/IH primer and 2150 red. If I prime tonight after work, about 9:30, will I be able to paint 12 hours later, tomorrow morning? The label on the can is gone, otherwise I'd just look there.

sflem849
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:53 am    Post subject: Re: Primer dry-time Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Kurt_JDB wrote:
(quoted from post at 04:49:59 08/06/12) Thanks. Epoxy primer is what I plan to use. I would like to get a coat on there as I clean the parts up to prevent oxidation, with the plan to top coat later. If I can just shoot another coat of epoxy on there before the topcoat without having to sand/prep again, I'll be a happy guy.

Kurt

Some epoxy primers will let you recoat with epoxy without scuffing. I was going to follow the same plan your intend on following.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Paint and Bodywork All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.