Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

why are

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Old Roy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:26 am    Post subject: why are Reply to specific post Reply with quote

many posts now show different words as blue on
classic view indicating an add when hovered over
with cursor ? I wont click on them thinking it may
be a trap .

YTSupport
Site Admin

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: why are Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It sounds like spyware on your browser, but I"d like to take a look at the specific thread to make sure it"s not spam. But if it"s a lot of threads, it would be your browser.

Yes you don"t want to click on those threads until you have done a cleaning.

Thanks,
Chris

Old Roy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: why are Reply to specific post Reply with quote

OK I use Google chrome, I started to get a lot of adds after clicking on an add for creigslist..

I defragged, and cleaned out the unwanted files.
seemed OK last night, but I didn't come back to this site till now.. certain words on others posts still show up as a blue click on like a link if hovered over it still may show an add wanting me to open it.

James Howell's topic in Tractor tales is a good example....His original post has links to vidieos, and they all work, but the reply to KEH .. the word "working" is blue and underlined. hover over it and a square pic comes up , and says somthing about "Single mother makes $77 an hour on the internet ???? http://www.ytmag.com/cgi-bin/viewit.cgi?bd=ttales&th=245

YTSupport
Site Admin

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: why are Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No, there isn't isn't anything in the file for the post, nor displayed when I view (either modern or classic).

It sounds like you have an "extension" to Chrome. Most of the browsers are subject to this type of adware/malware. I did a search on it, and one form was called "Text Enhance". If that, or any other extensions appear to be in your Chrome extensions, it will hijack pages that are textual in nature, and put targeted popups out if you hover over the link. It looks for pages that have the words it want's to target. It sounds pretty docile as those things go, but I would look up the methods of removal. It's usually just disabling the "extension" in the browsers extension list, but may involve some other steps.

YTSupport
Site Admin

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: why are Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I made a mistake in that last post. It implies that "extensions" are all adware/malware. They aren't (though in my opinion they are one more avenue from which your computer can be attacked, so I keep all extension off and disabled). Some people like them though for the tweaks they provide to a browser. The capability has been used to hijack browsers in some cases now. That is what I was talking about, and what you describe is similar to what some extensions do.

Old Roy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: why are Reply to specific post Reply with quote

OK guess I'll have to see my guru. I know very little on how to remove things like this.
YT works good on Firefox But I got used to chrome and I do use the free phone service they are running now similar to "Skype" maybe that is causing my problems?

YTSupport
Site Admin

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: why are Reply to specific post Reply with quote

From what I read in the one article I saw, it was as simple as opening the extensions and turning the offender off. I'm assuming it's a preference of some sort in Chrome (I've never used Chrome myself). They had just mentioned some other things like finding and removing the cookies it used, but I wouldn't imagine that would be important if you had disabled the extension that used it. I'd look in the extensions and see what's there. If you are like me, you don't use extension and can just turn them off. That's an easy way to be done with this type of thing.

It sounds like Adobe Flash is involved in how these make their way into your system. I'd research that a bit too. I've heard that Flash has had some security problems here and there and requires frequent updates.

Some bad news is that on Windows, it stays installed even after you disable it. In that case, if you really want it gone, you have to use add/remove programs and find which program it is, then remove it. That takes some research since these things call themselves by 100s of different names.

Old Roy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: why are Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ok I thank you for for help in getting me more confused than a Sheltie chasing a car from a fenced in yard. (You know how they run in circles ?) I have already added at least another 100 names for these things ... LOL I gotta go see Dave2 , I need a little help on my "people skills " at the moment LOL

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Site Comments All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.