Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cat DH8

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drew88
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:43 am    Post subject: Cat DH8 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am using a friends Cat D8H Dozer and the last few hours of operation it has been losing power and smoking black. Air filters are clean, fuel is fresh. There is a small exhaust leak where the two piece exhasut manifold meets, but I sealed it up and didn't change the power. The turbo sounds like it is working. I am told the engine was rebuilt two years ago.. Any ideas where to start?
Thanks

NCWayne
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Cat DH8 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Even though it can be a PITA to check, and the turbo 'sounds; like it is working, that's where I'd start looking. I just replace a turbo on a customers machine a few months back that 'seemed to be working' and spun freely by hand and didn't appear to drag when spinning. Still my gut told me it was the problem and when the turbo shop tore it down they found the thrust bearings were shot and had been dragging causing the turbo to slow down instead of reaching full speed. Even a few thousand RPM'on the turbo can make a huge difference in the performance of the engine. Too, turbo seals leaking too much to the cold/suction side of the turbo can cause an excessive amount of oil to get drawn into the combustion chamber. A small leak will often go unnoticed as the oil will typically get burned off, but a larger leak will, in effect, flood the engine and will create black smoke due the amount of unburned fuel (oil and diesel) caused by the flooding. Either way the turbo would be my first choice to look at. Good luck.

Bob/Ont

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Cat DH8 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Get a hose and a low pressure gauge into the intake manifold and check the boost under load.
Look for 10 to 15 PSI(not exact spec) but will give you an idea on turbo without tearing it down.
Later Bob

JOHNNYfromMI
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Cat DH8 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Are the fuel filters clean/new? Check for fuel flow after the filter.

Richard Maurer
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Cat DH8 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is there any water in it? It won't matter now, it's already too late.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Crawlers, Dozers, Loaders and Backhoes All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.