Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

snapper 1433

View previous topic :: View next topic  
petermiddletn
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:29 pm    Post subject: snapper 1433 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

14 hp ohv engine B&S. Picked this machine up for free from a friend who is moving. When I got it home i removed the spark splug and a gush of gasoline came out. Removed the oil and nothing but gasoline came out. The spark is strong. I have rebuilt the carb/cleaned. Replaced onto the machine and filled with 30 weight oil. The engine starts and runs but surges constantly. What am i missing? There is a sensor at the bottom of the float, could this be the problem?

ShadetreeRet
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: snapper 1433 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If the sensor your refer to has a wire attached, that is a fuel shut-off solenoid. This may be a contributing factor as to why the engine was full of fuel, if solenoid fails to shut off. The surging could be caused by a passage that is still restricted in the carb, but I would check the governor adjustment also. Just some thoughts.

petermiddletn
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: snapper 1433 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have redone the gas line with a new filter and placed a shut off valve also. Idea on what i am missing with gov. adjustment?

rrobert
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:26 am    Post subject: Did you check the float? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When you cleaned the carb, did you shake the float? If there is a liquid sound in it, it needs to be replaced. The brass floats go bad, the plastic ones not so much.

Make sure the intake gasket is not torn. I think there might be an adjustment for the idle fuel mixture on top of the carb. The high speed is set from the factory.

Good idea to install a second shut-off valve.

The "sensor" is a fuel shut off solenoid. When you turn the key to 'on', the wire should have power to it and you should hear a clicking sound coming from the solenoid.

Surging is an indication of lack of gas. Did you check the float setting? You might need to blow out every hole in the carb again. Make sure the solenoid plunger is moving up and down when you turn the key on.

The governor adjustment would be my last choice to mess with. Very simple on Briggs and Stratton tho. Basically, you want to hold the throttle butterfly open at full throttle. Loosen the governor arm. Turn the governor shaft(goes into the engine) counter-clockwise while holding the butterfly open all the way. Tighten governor arm. I think I picked the right rotation. They very rarely move unless someone messes with them.

petermiddletn
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: snapper 1433 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Got er going nice now. Had to take carb back off and give it another cleaning. Running smooth. Took the blade off and gave a nice sharpening. Never been on a snapper before, says 33 inch cut, it really cut even. Thanks so much.

rrobert
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:19 pm    Post subject: Excellent Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Use the second shut off valve.

The needle is supposed to stop the fuel from going into the cylinder then into the crankcase. Sometimes the needle doesn't seat properly. Sometimes the carb has a hairline crack in it but functions ok.

The fuel shut off solenoid is supposed to stop fuel from going into the carb when you turn the key off in order to prevent back firing from a hot engine.

Two telltale signs of gas in the cylinder are it smokes white when first starting and a vapor lock. You will need to change the oil and blow out the cylinder if this happens.

ShadetreeRet
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: snapper 1433 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Way to go! Gives you a real sense of accomplishment, doesn't it? Sounds like you got a real deal there. At one time Snapper was considered to be one of the best.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Garden Tractors All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.