Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

idiot light charging system?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rusty nut
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:10 am    Post subject: idiot light charging system? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

my friend did the wiring on my to30 a long time ago,lately the idiot light stays on after i shut the tractor off,why does it stay on with tractor not running?and how do i fix it?thanks for the help.

John (UK)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: idiot light charging system? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Most likely cause is the Regulator is faulty, it may just be sticking and a slight tap may disturb it but it does look as though it is on its way out....John(UK)

rusty nut
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: idiot light charging system? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

the alternator is brand new,and it is suppose to have the low rpm regulator in it,I bought it off ebay.

Bruce(OR)
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: idiot light charging system? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If the seller was triodiode, he can help you fix it. If the seller was some one else. . .

Richard L
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: idiot light charging system? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

rusty nut, what idiot light are you referring to on a TO 30? My TO 30 does not have a idiot light.

rusty nut
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: idiot light charging system? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

it is the light on the dash that lets you know if your charging system is charging or not.

Jon Hagen
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: idiot light charging system? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Are you using a Delco internal regulator alternator ? If so, check if the #1 excite wire is not shorted to the #2 sense wire.

If the #1 wire is shorted to the #2 wire, #2 is hot all the time and will backfeed through the idiot light to the ignition coil if both the idiot light and coil are connected to the same ign switch terminal. This will make the light burn when the tractor is stopped.
If not already installed, buy a delco alternator harness repair plug at the auto parts store.
This plug makes for a more professional liiking job and is safe from shorts.

If the gen light goes out when you unplug the #1-#2 plug at the alternator, that would point to an internal short in the alternator or regulator.
Delco alt wiring.

Richard L
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: idiot light charging system? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't have one. Never did.

John (UK)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: idiot light charging system? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sorry I misunderstood what you were saying, I thought that you had a generator with an external Regulator. We don't get many tractors with an Alternator and a warning light they usually fit an ammeter as it gives more information. So apologies for the misunderstanding...
John(UK)..fergusontractors@hotmail.com

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: idiot light charging system? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

John (UK) wrote:
(quoted from post at 09:10:11 08/06/12) Sorry I misunderstood what you were saying, I thought that you had a generator with an external Regulator. We don't get many tractors with an Alternator and a warning light they usually fit an ammeter as it gives more information. So apologies for the misunderstanding...
John(UK)..fergusontractors@hotmail.com
Engine not running, light on, is ign turned on or off at this time?

rusty nut
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: idiot light charging system? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

don't be sorry John,I appreciate all information given,haven't had time to look at tractor since i posted question,it does seem strange that this problem wasn't happening with the old alternator,thanks for everyones reply.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Harry Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.