Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Masking tires Painting wheels

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moondoggie
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:45 am    Post subject: Masking tires Painting wheels Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I"ve finished painting my 340 Utility, but want to paint the wheels without removing the tires. What is the best way and material to mask the tires when I spray the wheels?

B-maniac
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Masking tires Painting wheels Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I guess it goes without sayin' if ya ain't dismounting them the ya ain't planning on breaking the bead away from the rim either then. Get some "automotive quallity" green 3M preferably 3/4" tape. It will turn the radius of a tractor tire without parting or pulling up. Press it down extra tight. Make sure and wipe the tire where you are going to mask with laquer thinner to get it clean. After the 3/4" then mask the rest of the tire with newspaper or whatever you have. Nothing tackier than a tire with paint overspray on it. Take your time and get the tape edge right down in as far as you can to the edge of the rim. Shave off any mold nibs that might hold the tape up.

Moondoggie
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Masking tires Painting wheels Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanx for the info. I""ll take my time and try to get the masking tight.

sflem849
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Masking tires Painting wheels Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A little thinner on a rag should take care of any overspray if you get it right away.

davediehl@hotmail.com
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Masking tires Painting wheels Reply to specific post Reply with quote

On the rims I paint with tires on, I deflate the tires. It will lower the bead enough to properly paint with less going on the visible part of the tire.

Masking tire

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Masking tires Painting wheels Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A lot people have put a thin coat of vaseline on the tire so the paint won't stick. There may even be a special type of stuff just for tires. Just be extra careful not to get any on the rim.

TaylorMutts
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Masking tires Painting wheels Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've painted a lot of wheels lately. I remove the valve core so the tires fully deflate. I then stick 3x5 cards just under the rim, all the way around the rim. Have not had any issues with overspray, and once done painting just remove the cards, reinstall the valve core and inflate the tire. Much faster and easier than masking.

Last edited by TaylorMutts on Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:23 am; edited 1 time in total
sflem849
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Masking tires Painting wheels Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Very cool idea Taylor.

RTR
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Masking tires Painting wheels Reply to specific post Reply with quote

TaylorMutts wrote:
(quoted from post at 05:22:30 08/10/12) I've painted a lot of wheels lately. I remove the valve core so the tires fully deflate. I then stick 3x5 cards just under the rim, all the way around the rim. Have not had any issues with overspray, and once done painting just remove the cards, reinstall the valve core and inflate the tire. Much faster and easier than masking.

WOW, I'm gonna have to try that! Does that go for the large rear tires on tractors too!?? What if they got water in the tires?

TaylorMutts
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:00 am    Post subject: Re: Masking tires Painting wheels Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have only done this with automotive wheels, but since you are not even breaking the bead on the tire, I don't think this will be an issue. Deflating the tire allows you to squish it down enough to insert the cards. The larger the diameter of the wheel, the easier it should be to paint in this fashion.

Good luck!

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Paint and Bodywork All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.