Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What type of shop press?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: What type of shop press? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm finally going to break down and buy a shop press.
In the past I haven't needed one enough to justify it,
so I've taken the work somewhere else to get it done.
Recently though, that has added up to enough to buy one.
I thought about building my own also, but I don't have a spare
jack or enough of the right size angle laying around, so buying
one seems cheaper than buying all the parts and doing the work.
I was debating between the A-Frame and an H-Frame at HF linked below.
Pros or cons to each type?
Personal experience with either one of these HF models?
Advice appreciated!

H-Frame
A-Frame

Jock(OR)
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What type of shop press? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had the H-frame version in the shop at my rock quarry for about 4 years. My crew was pretty good at tearing things up, but they didn't do any damage to this one. The cast press plates even survived the ordeal.

I would have to give the H-frame press a "Pass" rating.

I haven't been around the A-frame version, but I am not fond of that design.

I have an old US made 25-ton H-frame that pushes the ram through a guide, rather than moving the whole frame like the HF model. I like the US model much better, but other than that they are built the same.

pconnie
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What type of shop press? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

ive had a h type for many years..its a 12 ton..done everything i've needed it to do..very satisfied

Ken(Ark)
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What type of shop press? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Royse wrote:

I was debating between the A-Frame and an H-Frame at HF linked below.
Pros or cons to each type?
Personal experience with either one of these HF models?

I have a HF "H" frame which works well for me and it looks like I could easily modify it or cheaply build another frame and use the HF components if an unusually large/tall project comes up .

I did buy the air powered hydraulic jack which helps a lot . I have pressed 100's of piston pins out and have used the jack to push bent/damaged metal frames back into place for welding .

George Marsh
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: What type of shop press? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 20 ton HF. Works well for me, don't use it a lot, nice to have when I need it. If you watch, I've seen adds for them around $169.

George

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What type of shop press? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When you reach what a 12 ton jack will press things get scary even a 12 ton jack in a 20 ton press is dangers ... I prefer the 20 just cuzz it appears to be built better... Looks like the saddle/table are what ever you call it were you would sit the part is a bigger beam.... the bigger wider the better...

I could do a lot with the 12 but more with the 20 Question

howdy1960
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What type of shop press? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We have the 12 ton HF H frame at work. The working part of the press that protrudes down and makes contact with your work appears to be low carbon steel. The frame is constructed of about 1/8" (maybe 3/16") CR formed steel. Personally I"m savibg up for at least the 20 ton unit. (I was spoiled on a air over hyd OTC 20 ton years ago)

flembo
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What type of shop press? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have the 20 ton shown and like it it has done everything I have asked it to do. for the money it's a good press.

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What type of shop press? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thank you all for your advice.
I picked up the 20 ton after work today.
Now to clear a spot for its new home! Laughing

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: What type of shop press? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Now you start scavenging ,, any size pipe the bigger the better,,, flat plate the thicker the better,,, old bearing races even the inner brg races,,, a HF 3/4 socket set for press adapters,,, starter motor housings of different sizes let you junk-a-h-o-l-i-c mind be your guide Cool... Don't throw nuttin away it could come in handy when you need to support are press sum'n Wink

My favorite press adapter is a old mini kota electric trolling motor field coil housing (35 or 65) you can use it to press out the rock shaft in the lift cover are remove stuck hubs on 8N axle shafts... My next favorite is the hub off a Toyota V6 water pump... That's why they make 5 gal buckets for,,, press accessory storage containers Laughing

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What type of shop press? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks Hobo.
I read that out loud and took the fryin' pan for ya! Laughing
It's second job will most likely be that lift shaft.
The first is just holding the top cover to let penetrating oil soak in.

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: What type of shop press? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Good cuzz thats the wrong end to press from if you plan to remove the rock shaft... Press in action

http://ytforums.ytmag.com/viewtopic.php?t=575304&highlight=lift+arm

http://ytforums.ytmag.com/viewtopic.php?t=357903&highlight=bushn

http://ytforums.ytmag.com/viewtopic.php?t=826211&highlight=press

http://ytforums.ytmag.com/viewtopic.php?t=571655&highlight=press

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What type of shop press? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the links Hobo.
And to DollarBill for posting his experience.
I'll definitely be using the air chisel tip.
You can see I haven't even taken the quadrant off yet,
it just made the perfect vise to hold it for the oil.
A lot of things left to do, I got it the way it is, off the tractor.
It'll be fun. My first lift cover rebuild.
At least I don't have to worry about breaking the cover! Laughing

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.