Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TO-30 Front Axel hits Lower Rad Hose

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rekerkayak

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:50 pm    Post subject: TO-30 Front Axel hits Lower Rad Hose Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My To-30 is still a working tractor. She's a great tractor for my little place.

Hilly travel where I live causes the front axel to pivot up just enough to break the lower radiator hose. The axel goes just high enough to cause a scissors effect at the radiator outlet.

Tried everything I could think of any ideas out there??

Richard L
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: TO-30 Front Axel hits Lower Rad Hose Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As soon as you can please take a very good look at the front axle pin. It sounds to me as it may have needed replacing some time ago. It won't be good if you are on a side of a hill and it breaks.

Bruce(OR)
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: TO-30 Front Axel hits Lower Rad Hose Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yep! Sounds a bit worse than the junk yard refugee 2N in the front yard. It has the same problem. Hence another reason for it"s gathering moss "till I get a round tuit.
Right after the 8N and what ever else comes along such as her van with a busted hose.
"It is difficult to remind ourselves the original objective was to drain the swamp when up to you a** in alligators."

trac
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: TO-30 Front Axel hits Lower Rad Hose Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The axle bushing also needs replacing with new pin it's not that hard to do.

Bob (Aust)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:33 am    Post subject: Re: TO-30 Front Axel hits Lower Rad Hose Reply to specific post Reply with quote

And the radius rods will also be bent.

rekerkayak

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: TO-30 Front Axel hits Lower Rad Hose Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well......

Ignorance was bliss..

Not to hard ya say??

overhead
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: TO-30 Front Axel hits Lower Rad Hose Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not too hard, no. It required a trip to the machine shop for me as I had to get the center beamed drilled out to fit the newer sized bushing, and I also had to replace the axle support because the pin had turned what should be a round hole into an oval, but it was not very technically challenging at all. I had zero experience working on tractors, but I did have lots of experience on on cars, ATV, motorcycles, etc.

rekerkayak
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: TO-30 Front Axel hits Lower Rad Hose Reply to specific post Reply with quote

got a look at it last night and if it's bad I can't tell. Looks like everything is there.

Radius rods may be bent slightly??

Anything special I need to look for or a way I can test or measure to tell for sure??

overhead
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: TO-30 Front Axel hits Lower Rad Hose Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have only completed this repair once, so I am sure there are others here that can answer better than I can.

Mine was obviously broken, I did not have to measure anything.

rekerkayak
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: TO-30 Front Axel hits Lower Rad Hose Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yup-I saw this post, great info. Mine is not broken and looks pretty good, compared to this one.

overhead
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: TO-30 Front Axel hits Lower Rad Hose Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I imagine if you jack the tractor up so that the front axle moves freely you could tell whether their were play in the center beam bushing/pin. Hopefully someone else with more experience will chime in.

Bob (Aust)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:55 am    Post subject: Re: TO-30 Front Axel hits Lower Rad Hose Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Changing the front pivot pin and bushes is relatively simple. Depending on what tooling you have, you may need to have the old bushes pressed out and new bushes presse in.

The radius arms will be bent and can be straightened in a press - with care!

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Harry Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.