Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Painting tractors with the wheels off

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sflem849
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:22 am    Post subject: Painting tractors with the wheels off Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How do you support the tractor with the wheels off? I'm not sure how to go about this to get good coverage and a safe setup.

Do you do it any differently when you are working on it?

CNKS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Painting tractors with the wheels off Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Two big jackstands under the axles or axle housings. Not sure how that works with your WD9? I paint with the wheels on, rims off. That is easier than messing with heavy wheels off the tractor.

sflem849
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Painting tractors with the wheels off Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sorry...just realized I was using rims and wheel (for rim/wheel assembly) assembly interchangeably. Crying or Very sad

I am thinking of just setting the hubs on blocks and touching them up later. You will never see that spot because the rims will cover it.

Where did you get your jackstands? What size/weight rating? It seems 12 ton stands go to 30" and that is the most I have seen.

CNKS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Painting tractors with the wheels off Reply to specific post Reply with quote

NAPA, don't remember the rating, but it is more than I will ever use, more than your WD9 also. They easily reach the axle on a H-560 without blocks. Maybe 8 years or so ago about $80 apiece if I remember right. Not much demand for them as the person who works there stopped me from driving off and said his boss lowered the price. I also have a pair that I have to put a 4 inch block under to get them to the axles. The small car stands I have are not safe.

sflem849
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Painting tractors with the wheels off Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Looks like it takes 27" for an M or H. That will also get you to the axle tube on the 9. That should be a good safe way to hold up the rear end while I (try to) pull the hubs.

Here is a pretty cool set at NAPA. $399/pair
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=NLE7915250_0331540600

This is probably the NAPA set you have. A lot different price. $329/pair
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=NLE7915220_0331540598

Stephen Newell
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Painting tractors with the wheels off Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I also used jack stands to support my tractor when I painted it.

CNKS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Painting tractors with the wheels off Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Both are the ratchet type. Big ones are 12 ton, smaller are 6 ton. Currently the 6 ton ones are holding the rear of my Super M up, sitting on two 3 inch thick wooden blocks. The 12 ton ones are under a bar under the clutch housing. Seems backward, don't remember the reason. Engine is at machine shop.

redgems
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Painting tractors with the wheels off Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have four 10 ton Napa rachet stands. LOVE THEM !
Pic here, Farmall 560 used them through out the restoration also three of them helping us with MM "U" restoration.
Tony

DScott
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Painting tractors with the wheels off Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I also use jackstands. You can easily touch up where the tractor sat on them after you put your wheels on. Just see that they are rated for the weight you are working with.

sflem849
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: Painting tractors with the wheels off Reply to specific post Reply with quote

redgems - Cool custom covers. I am going to need something because my shed is very diry. It has concrete floor, but the birds get in there really bad. It is also really dusty.

RTR
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Painting tractors with the wheels off Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I use the jackstands from Harbor Frieght that are around $30-$40 a pair. Been using (3) sets of them for Farmall Cubs, Super A's, and 140's going on 4 years now and they work great. They look just like the orange and white one in the picture above. Only one of them has "messed up" on me. The latch is finicky on one of them becuase it had weight on it and the latch had gotten forced up. They seem to be good stands!

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Paint and Bodywork All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.