Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stuck brake on M604

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jack Moore
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: Stuck brake on M604 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The tractor has been parked in the corner of my hangar and hasn't been started for six or eight years. I had to pull it forward a bit over the weekend to get access to some shelves behind. I hooked up my ute (pickup) and wondered why it was so hard to move. Discovered the right-hand back wheel had locked up, and am almost certain it is the brake? They were both working well and very even last time it was driven, but now the right pedal is higher than the left. Could it be anything else other than the brake. If it's the brake, what's the likely problem and how do you get at it? I plan to start a complete rebuild within a year or two and had planned to drive it to my home workshop (8 miles) for that. Will need to free up the brake before then.

Alan K
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck brake on M604 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Im guessing rust in the brake actuator. Does the pedal move freely? I had one once that was stuck on the shaft by the clutch pedal and wouldnt move correctly, Im sure that isnt haning up the brake but might explain the pedal height.

shinnery
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck brake on M604 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a Vista that had a stuck brake when I found it. When I started loosening the cover for the brake it freed up. I was able to get it to drive enough to load. When I get into it I plan on taking it all apart and cleaning it out.
Bryce
Smile

Jack Moore
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck brake on M604 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The pedal moves freely and feels normal, just doesn't push down as far. I now recall that the last time I moved it under its own power, I had to let the clutch pretty well right out to get it going - it felt like there was the load on the back. At the time I put it down to tyres underinflated and sticking to the concrete. On reflection, I'm feel it was probably the brake that time, too. Once I got it moving it was fine.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Minneapolis Moline All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.