Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

To weigh or not to weigh

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
johninmn
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: To weigh or not to weigh Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So I have a f250 and a 12k trailer. I know the truck is under 10k GVWR but being that the trailer is over am I required to pull in to the highway weigh station? I wont even be close to being overweight but I already know what the fine for running the scale is and do not want to pay it again.
Thanks

ericlb
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: To weigh or not to weigh Reply to specific post Reply with quote

as long as your hauling your own stuff, and the total weight is not over the trucks tow rating, this means the truck, everything in and on it, the trailer, and everything on it,and the trailer tounge weight on the truck does not exceed the trucks gvw rating, you should be ok unless motioned to pull in, be advised a light duty 250 can have a gvw rating as light as around 6800 lbs, in some years, the truck and empty trailer may exceed that, if you use that combo id scale the whole rig and its load at a scale, then compare the reading to the card on the cab door, before i got to any dot scales so i knew if it would pass or not if its over the rated capacity, better find a heavier rated tow vehicle, if your hauling somebody elses stuff on your trailer, some places, your a commercial trucker and you better stop, if they dont want you, they'll give you the green light

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: To weigh or not to weigh Reply to specific post Reply with quote

ericlb wrote:
(quoted from post at 16:34:03 08/16/12) as long as your hauling your own stuff, and the total weight is not over the trucks tow rating, this means the truck, everything in and on it, the trailer, and everything on it,and the trailer tounge weight on the truck does not exceed the trucks gvw rating, you should be ok unless motioned to pull in, be advised a light duty 250 can have a gvw rating as light as around 6800 lbs, in some years, the truck and empty trailer may exceed that, if you use that combo id scale the whole rig and its load at a scale, then compare the reading to the card on the cab door, before i got to any dot scales so i knew if it would pass or not if its over the rated capacity, better find a heavier rated tow vehicle, if your hauling somebody elses stuff on your trailer, some places, your a commercial trucker and you better stop, if they dont want you, they'll give you the green light

Never heard of "motioned to pull in" before. How do they do that? I always pull in if there is any way they could even THINK that they want me. They almost always wave me by. One time entering Nevada they wanted to ask about the Red Sox, and then wanted to know why I was wearing a Dartmouth sweat shirt.

ericlb
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: To weigh or not to weigh Reply to specific post Reply with quote

the nearest one to here, there is always a cruiser parked out by the road with a cop in it,or standing by it, [ in case a commercial truck tries to bypass the scale, they'll go get him] the cop standing by will occasionally flip his litebar on and point to the entrance ramp, if he sees something he wants to look at on a smaller truck, usually its something like a 310 jd commercial backhoe or similer, on a pintle hitch trailer, all headed up by some guy in a 1 ton , dont know how they do it in your area

willie in mn
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: To weigh or not to weigh Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Read the sign as you approach the weigh station.
Do what the sign says. Haven't been there for a while, but Ne used to say "pickups with trailers must weigh". Il used to say " trucks over 4 tons gross weight", etc. Haven't even been near Mn scales lately, used to say "trucks over 12000# enter scale"
Willie

MSD
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: To weigh or not to weigh Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Son got pulled over the other day for going past one on I-29 in southern SD. He was running his 3500 Dodge dually with a 30 ft. gooseneck that he just bought and was coming home with. Cop gave him a warning ticket after he pleaded stupidity. Sign called for anything 8000 lbs. to pull in. He had a G JD on it at the time also.

scotc
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: To weigh or not to weigh Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I saw one Ohio state patrolman do it by walking out into the middle of 3 lanes on I-71, take his hat off, and wave it at a red Ford Ranger.

larryanderson
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: To weigh or not to weigh Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This question comes up often and the answer seems to be 26000#and up .I have a 2011 Ford F-350 single axle diesel with a 32ft gooseneck tandem axle that has 2 12000# axles that I haul my farm tractors and machinery, hay ,or whatever needs to be hauled.I have a CDL,Med card,but do not have my DOT # on truck.I usually stay in Ia.and havent had any problems and was passed by a DOT car today on four lane and had a tractor and plow on.They seem to like big rigs a lot better.My day will probably come.I dont weigh but probably should.

johninmn
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: To weigh or not to weigh Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The particular scale I will be driving by says all trucks over 10000 lbs must pull in to weigh station. So what im wondering is because the truck is not over 10k but the trailer is am I required to pull in? Ill be hauling 3 ATVs and a grill so weight will not be an issue.

730d se
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:40 am    Post subject: Re: To weigh or not to weigh Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Keep in mind that it is not just about IF a truck is over weight, it is about the GVWR, the gross vehicle weight rating. Matters not if you have a load of air on a brand new rig, it is about it's capacity or rating.
Then, IF the truck is overloaded, or the driver does not have all paperwork, numbers, lisenses, insurance, etc., the fines can begin.

d beatty

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: To weigh or not to weigh Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Crossing scales is going to be differant from state to state.I just brought a new trailer across I-80 in ILL. and their scales was anything over 8 ton. Here in Indiana all trucks cross scales including pickup trucks pulling trailers. It also includes all rental trucks.

Sako

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: To weigh or not to weigh Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When in doubt pull thru, If they don't want you you'll get waved on. If you drive past and they come after you chances are the fines are going to start.
What is the GCVWR of the 250? My 11 450 has a GCVWR of 30k. Truck GVWR is 19,500 + Trailer GVWR 14,000 = GCVWR (of tags) 33,500 so techincally I'm over weight empty. It all depends on wether they look at actual weight or lisenced weight.

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: To weigh or not to weigh Reply to specific post Reply with quote

im my f250, 350 and 450, latter 2 duallies.. and a 16' tandem, or my 28' gn tandem.. I've never pulled into a weigh station in any of the southeast from fl to texas and georgia. lousiana, mississippa, alabama.. etc.

never been chased down.. etc.

i'm private / non commercial, hauling my stuff with my trucks.. class e license.. etc.

uncle henry
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: To weigh or not to weigh Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i have a one ton dodge and a 48 foot gooseneck with 12,000lbs axles which makes me 78 foot bumper to bumper and i have texas farm plates never pulled in one been to illinois, indiana, iowa, louisiana, mississippi, arkansas, and oklahoma

730d se
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:41 am    Post subject: Re: To weigh or not to weigh Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It is a matter of time.
Even bootleggers got by back in the day, but it still did not make it legal.
In the case of your truck, you have a lot of weight to deal with, especially when loaded to or past rated capacity.
If you have an accident, your life will never be the same.
Best get the million dollar plus insurance, CDL, etc. You will need every advantage in court.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Transporting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.