Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A4T-1600 oil recommendations and external pump info needed

View previous topic :: View next topic  
agcodick
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:28 am    Post subject: A4T-1600 oil recommendations and external pump info needed Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hey, I got a call from my buddy that has an A4T-1600. He has had some oil pressure issues with it and they pulled the engine and dropped the pan and oil pump out of it and wanted to me too see it and hear my thoughts on it.

The tractor does not have the external pump upgrade on it and has run fine since they bought it, however this spring they noticed the oil pressure was dropping some days and others it was fine. Well they finally figured they better check before something bad happened.

What they found and what I also see is that the suction screen around the pickup tube was sucked in and covered with some crusty black stuff. The engine is clean inside but the bottom of the pan is covered with a black layer of stuff that isn't really sludgy at all. The oil pump appears to work fine when spun with a drill in a bucket of oil. The pump gear is however very sharp and not far from failing. They run 30w oil in it and change the oil regularly in the tractor.

My thoughts are that they probably should upgrade to the external pump. I am a mechanic for a living working mainly on cat construction equipment. I use Shell Rotella 15W-40 oil in everything with great results. We have gotten 25,000 hours out of many 3406 cat engines in our loaders. Would this oil be a good upgrade for the 585? My thoughts on that layer of black stuff on the bottom of there oil pan that is possibly plugging there screen could be a soot problem and I know the Rotella has the soot control and seems to work well.

So my questions are : What engine oil do you guys recommend for the 585, where can my friends find an external oil pump upgrade kit for there tractor and has anyone else had this issue?

Thanks.

mightymolinekid
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: A4T-1600 oil recommendations and external pump info n... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

By all means switch to a good multigrade diesel oil. I would
recommend Chevron Delo 400 MG 15w40, but that's my bias,
Rotella is fine too. Is the 30wt they've been using a non-
detergent by any chance? It almost sounds like it. All of
Chevron oils are backwards compatible by the way. Can't help
with the pump, you'll have to do the parts yard search for
that.

Dell Tait
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: A4T-1600 oil recommendations and external pump info n... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The two cars that I switched from stright 30WT to multy-vis high detergent, in my early days both started leaking, and burning oil. I now have a guestion what to use in my GB. At best it might have dello 300 20 or 30WT in it, but more likley something like havoline or penzoil. Thougths??

minnymovista
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: A4T-1600 oil recommendations and external pump info n... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I use shell 30 weigh in every moline I have and wouldnt use anything else! I have friends that use it and never have any problems and have been using it for years and thousands of hours on their motors.

mm585
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: A4T-1600 oil recommendations and external pump info n... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

when I worked for a case IH dealer we had several customers with both cummins powered magnum tractors that call for 15-40 oil, And International powered tractors that called for 30W. Many of them didnt want two barrels of oil setting around so they ran 15-40 in there International engines. At the same time the local Deere dealer was pushing oil sales and told everyone that deere's 15-40 was good for any engine. A year or two later we had several bearing falures in IH engines. The Oil people from both Case IH and cenpeco said the problem was caused by running to light of oil in the 400 series engines,the early deere engines that called for 30w however ran fine on 15-40. I myself run 15-40 shell rotella in everything on the farm, car, gas pickups,tractors gas and diesel and have never had a problem,,,,but that moline is a high dollar engine to work on, and they have been known to have oil pump problems. 30w may be the best.

Moline_guy
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: A4T-1600 oil recommendations and external pump info n... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would think salvage yards would be your best bet for the external pump and filter set up. Almost every 585 I have seen had the external pump and filter installed. We had a a4t-1600 with only 3000 actual hours spin a rod bearing, it still had the factory internal pump, but the drive gear was almost gone. The other two a4t's have the external pump and filters, and we have not had any pump problems with those.

eric berglund
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: A4T-1600 oil recommendations and external pump info n... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I run two a4t-1600's. One has external pump and the other
had internal. I replaced the internal pump with a new internal
pump but it had a modification to allow extra oil flow to the
critical drive gear from cam. This simple modification was
made to the oil pump housing. A simple vertical groove about
1/16 deep and about the width of hack saw blade. It is made to
the "shank" of oil pump housing to allow high pressure oil from
oil gallery to squirt past to lube cam drive. A photo would be
great but it's been in service for 15 years since with no issues.
Check AGCO Parts for an image. It's a simple and effective
next best solution to external pump.

TangleFoot
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:07 am    Post subject: Re: A4T-1600 oil recommendations and external pump info need Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I know that Clint Stamm in Washington KS has a external pump....I just traded it to him for some other parts.

Later-TangleFoot

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Minneapolis Moline All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.