Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chevy Kodiak 70 with 366

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RGMartin
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:09 am    Post subject: Chevy Kodiak 70 with 366 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I picked up a 92 chevy over the summer for a beater farm truck. I have been trying to sort out all its Gremlins to get it ready to haul some grain. Couple questions...

The 2 speed axle blows fuses any time you try to shift it. Is this likely just a wiring issue, or is there some inherent design flaw in the 2 speed which goes bad after 20 years?

Also the injected 366, I know on the Ford gassers in trucks you are supposed to "drive it like you stole it" in order to save the bottom end. Same issue with the Chevys? Anything to keep an eye on? it sounds good, starts good, seems to have OK power, but I'm sure that opinion will change once I put 250 bu of corn on it.

Dodgeit
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Chevy Kodiak 70 with 366 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

RGMartin wrote:
(quoted from post at 08:09:28 08/22/12) I picked up a 92 chevy over the summer for a beater farm truck. I have been trying to sort out all its Gremlins to get it ready to haul some grain. Couple questions...

The 2 speed axle blows fuses any time you try to shift it. Is this likely just a wiring issue, or is there some inherent design flaw in the 2 speed which goes bad after 20 years?

Also the injected 366, I know on the Ford gassers in trucks you are supposed to "drive it like you stole it" in order to save the bottom end. Same issue with the Chevys? Anything to keep an eye on? it sounds good, starts good, seems to have OK power, but I'm sure that opinion will change once I put 250 bu of corn on it.

The 366 is bullit proof as long as you keep the oil changed, on a regular basis. The two speed rear ends I'm familiar with were vacuum. If your blowing fuses. I would look at wiring (bare insulation, bad ground), linkage at the rear end, if applicable (corroded, dirty), switch/splitter on the shifter (corrosion, bare terminals/wires touching).

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Chevy Kodiak 70 with 366 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The engines are good. The fuel injected is a lot
better than the carb version but almost all 366's
whether it's in the bigger trucks or the 6.0 litre
in the pick ups, seem to have a problem with the
right side exhaust manifold cracking. I have a 366
fuel injected in a Top Kick, a 2000 Chev. 2500 and
used to have an older 6500 all with 366/6.0L
engines. Every one of them has a cracked manifold. I
was told it's good to change the fuel filter often.

Bama Ray
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Chevy Kodiak 70 with 366 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

On the two speed get it in high range and disconnect the switch and shift the gears ....I have a uncle that would disconnect the switch and take electrical tape and tape the swith in hi so you could not reconnect and move switch he would do to new trucks....one time when I was 16 he had a driver hired who reconnected switch took tape off and use the two speed he got it hung up between hi and low after we got it fixed he had me drive the truck home fired that driver....he told me later he had talked to the hired driver more than one time about the two speed ....so that is what i have allwayd done and never had one hang up between speeds

mkirsch
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Chevy Kodiak 70 with 366 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Do what you feel is right but to me it's pretty silly to throw out the baby with the bathwater like that... Just because you had ONE rear end hang up, they're ALL no good??? Doesn't make sense.

Especially since we're talking about a pretty new truck here. You'd think by the 1990's and 2000's they would have perfected the 2-speed rear end.

rustyfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Chevy Kodiak 70 with 366 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bama Ray wrote:
(quoted from post at 11:35:49 08/23/12) On the two speed get it in high range and disconnect the switch and shift the gears ....I have a uncle that would disconnect the switch and take electrical tape and tape the swith in hi so you could not reconnect and move switch he would do to new trucks....one time when I was 16 he had a driver hired who reconnected switch took tape off and use the two speed he got it hung up between hi and low after we got it fixed he had me drive the truck home fired that driver....he told me later he had talked to the hired driver more than one time about the two speed ....so that is what i have allwayd done and never had one hang up between speeds

I guess that advice might be okay if you live in flatland country, but around here those 2 speeds get lots of use. That's how you keep the truck rolling right along at a decent speed in the hills.

scotc
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Chevy Kodiak 70 with 366 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If it's a big block (aren't the newer ones in the pick-ups smallblocks), yes, slam your hand in the door on the way in, that way you are in the proper mood for driving it. Fertilizer truck I use for planting has one, rolls along pretty well, as long as you aren't trying to drag a seed tender. Usually only fill one 1500 gallon tank, but sometimes we fill both.

RGMartin
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:57 am    Post subject: Re: Chevy Kodiak 70 with 366 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

scotc wrote:
(quoted from post at 21:31:25 08/23/12) If it's a big block (aren't the newer ones in the pick-ups smallblocks), yes, slam your hand in the door on the way in, that way you are in the proper mood for driving it. Fertilizer truck I use for planting has one, rolls along pretty well, as long as you aren't trying to drag a seed tender. Usually only fill one 1500 gallon tank, but sometimes we fill both.

Looks like a 454, but supposedly the deck height is higher. Definitely not the pickup 6.0. I would have liked a diesel, but The whole truck was only a little more than it was worth for scrap. If I am only going to drive it a couple 1000 miles a year the price difference didn't make sense.

Not sure if it is currently stuck in high or low. Waiting on the door sticker to get back from the state so I can hit the road. The title only took 3 days. Been driving it around in the harvested oat fields. Seems like she is going to be screaming to get to 60 mph. Having the extra gears would be nice, some pretty big gaps as it is now, some big hills between home and where I plan to sell my crop this year. If I don't get it fixed it won't be the end of the world, it should still be better than dragging wagons with an open station tractor.

Bama Ray
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: Chevy Kodiak 70 with 366 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

had more than one rear end hang up been around trucks my whole life owned trucks my whole adult life. I am 55 now. I am in nort Alabama we have mountains here ....just giving advice on a truck that will not be run everday he will have a lot less problems getting it in high and leaving it there

Bama Ray
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: Chevy Kodiak 70 with 366 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

last 366 I had would top out around 70 you could hear 4 barrel sucking down the gas....you can remove the cover off the motor of the two speed on the axle and move the gear up or down from low to high or high to low and see if you are in hi or low

Dick W.
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Chevy Kodiak 70 with 366 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Block the wheels and get under there. Disconnect
the wires on the back side of the 2 speed motor and
then operate the switch on the gear lever. If it
doesn't blow the fuse then you know the problem is
in the 2 speed changer. The switch often goes bad
inside the changer. Last year a farmer brought one
to our shop and the changer was so worn out we
installed a whole new unit on the rear axle. It
shifted normally then.

RGMartin
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: Chevy Kodiak 70 with 366 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dick W. wrote:
(quoted from post at 12:29:26 08/26/12) Block the wheels and get under there. Disconnect
the wires on the back side of the 2 speed motor and
then operate the switch on the gear lever. If it
doesn't blow the fuse then you know the problem is
in the 2 speed changer. The switch often goes bad
inside the changer. Last year a farmer brought one
to our shop and the changer was so worn out we
installed a whole new unit on the rear axle. It
shifted normally then.

I am having one of those, "Well DUH, why didn't I think of that" moments.

Thanks for the troubleshooting advise.

cd1
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Chevy Kodiak 70 with 366 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

a 20+ year old 366 is not near the same as the modern 6.0 engine. The 6.0 is from the "LS" family of engines. The 366 is a "big block family" engine. The 8.1 engine they made a few years ago although a good bit different than a 454 was still from the "big block" family. I have a truck with a 6.0 and one with a 8.1, they are vastly different engines.

VicS
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Chevy Kodiak 70 with 366 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Where I worked a few years ago, had a few of those Chevy's. I would check the wires where they go though the floor. Every time you shift them the wires have to bend. Also the New two speed electric controller (on the left of the rear end) Sucks. We changed them for the old ones with points instead of a circuit board. Just two bolts and the wires to change. Doesn't matter what brand of truck, all of them are the same. hope this helps Vic

d beatty

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Chevy Kodiak 70 with 366 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The 366,396,402 and 427 are in the same Chevy engine family but the 454 is a differant engine.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Transporting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.