Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

“Mystery Fluid” smooths out engine after rebuilding the Carb

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jgc
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:55 am    Post subject: “Mystery Fluid” smooths out engine after rebuilding the Carb Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I posted a summary of my experience using a commercial carb cleaner and a "motor treatment" on a single cylinder engine on my blog at: http://everythingengines.wordpress.com/

I hope that this will be of interest and a help to others!
Regards,
Jon
Untitled URL Link

Tom Arnold
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: “Mystery Fluid” smooths out engine after rebuilding t... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

SeaFoam is a well-recognized product in the OPE industry. I have used it myself and found that it works very well on most occasions. Will it work in every situation? No. There are times when the carb must be dismantled totally and soaked for a couple of days in a true carb cleaner.

This often entails removing "frost plugs" that close off passages in the carb that are blocked solid with gunk. These need to be carefully rodded with fine wire so as to not harm any jetting and then blown out with compressed air prior to returning the carb body to the cleaning solution so it can finish the job.

None of the above is meant to take anything away from SeaFoam because it often will do the job on its own. But if it doesn't work to your satisfaction, don't blame it and say that it's worthless. Every product has its limitations. SeaFoam is the first thing I reach for and if the problem persists, then "cooking the carb" in cleaning solution is the next move.

If the SeaFoam does clear it up, then look at all the time you saved.

dhermesc
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: “Mystery Fluid” smooths out engine after rebuilding t... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Agreed.

I've had great luck with Seafoam cleaning up "marginal" carbs that other cleaners couldn't do anything to. It's usually poured into all my small engines at the beginning of a season to help clear up anything that accumulated while sitting.

MNGB
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: “Mystery Fluid” smooths out engine after rebuilding t... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yep I've used it for years and as posted its good for cleaning a carb that's set for a short time as posted reallyu clogged carbs will need to be dissemble and cleaned, I put it in the tanks in the fall it works great as a stabilizer and then its in the fuel for spring start up. I now make my own using a recipe off the internet works just as good and about a 10th of the cost.
GB in MN

Tom Arnold
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: “Mystery Fluid” smooths out engine after rebuilding t... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Why not share the recipe?

carl reitnauer
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: “Mystery Fluid” smooths out engine after rebuilding t... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

MNGB,what's the family recipe? I need to know to stretch my SSI.

MNGB
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: “Mystery Fluid” smooths out engine after rebuilding t... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi I just googled home brew Sea Foam back when and this is one of the recipes I found and tried:
http://hildstrom.com/projects/seafoam/index.html

Tom Arnold
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: “Mystery Fluid” smooths out engine after rebuilding t... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the LINK... Most appreciated.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Garden Tractors All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.