Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DLTX-71 rusted carburator

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CharlesTx
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: DLTX-71 rusted carburator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I;m trying to put some life into a 1947 model A. Carburator is a rusty mess on the inside. Choke value is stuck. Does a method exist to save the carb or should I just try to find a replacement?

greenmech
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: DLTX-71 rusted carburator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Carb can be cleaned. All the brass plugs removed and the passages cleaned with proper size drill bits. Choke can be loosened up with PB Blaster. Or you can send it to a carburetor re builder. Ron Mn.

rustyfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: DLTX-71 rusted carburator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CharlesTX wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:06:59 08/24/12) I;m trying to put some life into a 1947 model A. Carburator is a rusty mess on the inside. Choke value is stuck. Does a method exist to save the carb or should I just try to find a replacement?

I've never worked on a JD carb, but they're made of cast iron, and cast iron can be heated up with a torch in the area of the stuck choke, and then spray some PB Blaster on it as it cools. When the carb is cool to your touch, grab that choke lever with a pair of pliers and begin GENTLY wiggling it back and forth, a little more PB Blaster, and before you know it that choke will be free, and then you can take it all apart. Screws, bolts, etc, and nearly anything else that is stubborn about moving will also benefit from the heat-er-up and cool-er-down philosophy.

Do NOT subject any parts made of aluminum or pot metal to the heat. A venturi made of aluminum or pot metal will just sort of disappear if you get it TOO hot.

Bead blasting will get rid of the rust.

ASEguy
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:00 am    Post subject: Re: DLTX-71 rusted carburator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My throttle valve was completely stuck on my 8N and I was faced with your dillema. I bought a gallon of carb cleaner from the auto parts store, disassembled it as best as I could an soaked it for two weeks. It cleaned up really nice and works well with a new kit and the throttle shaft freed up too. Patience is the key. Hope this helps. Gerard

Dodgeit
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: DLTX-71 rusted carburator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

ASEguy wrote:
(quoted from post at 06:00:57 08/26/12) My throttle valve was completely stuck on my 8N and I was faced with your dillema. I bought a gallon of carb cleaner from the auto parts store, disassembled it as best as I could an soaked it for two weeks. It cleaned up really nice and works well with a new kit and the throttle shaft freed up too. Patience is the key. Hope this helps. Gerard

The dip type carb cleaner will not clean out stopped up passages in a JD 2 cyl. carb. Only a drill bit of the correct size will do it. Do your self a favor and send it to PopinJohn carb repair. (google is your friend) They'll do it right for cheap money compared to others.

The people who own this site also do the rebuilds.

Last edited by Dodgeit on Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
36 Coupe
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:07 am    Post subject: Re: DLTX-71 rusted carburator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This is a very high priced carberator.The idle passages do plug up,Not a good carberator for amatures to mess with.

CharlesTx
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: DLTX-71 rusted carburator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks to all that replied. I have decided to send the carb off for a rebuild.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Restoration and Repair Tips All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.