Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

No Spark!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thomas(AB)
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: No Spark! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Using my TE20 to mow earlier this year, parked it after running for 3-4 hours, has refused to run since. Has no spark, replaced coil x 2, rotor, cap, all spark plug wires, points, condenser x 2- when the first one was tested it was bad.
Tractor is still 6 volt, ground has been cleaned and moved by the starter, i have power to all the right places, i have power to the points,the coil, when put on another engine works, im about ready to push it into the slough.
Any ideas??
Thomas

Tony in Mass.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: No Spark! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I forgot where I posted the details a few weeks ago, but the F162 in my Cockshutt was as dead and clueless as yours. As I turned the starter, a forklift mechanic freind who is knowledgeable with Continentals, held a plug wire straight up as I cranked. He slowly lowered it to its plug, and when still several inches above it, the tractor started, running on the other 3. He got zapped of course, so I shut it off, he replaced the wire to the plug, it started perfect and has been starting fine ever since. I just had it running an hour ago... and it still defies explaination... it's free so give it a try. Good luck.

2tractors
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: No Spark! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Boy I wish we had magicians around here!!While you were mesmerized with the sparkplug hand he turned on the petcock with the other. That's the oldest trick in the book. HaHa
No really undo the carb bowl screw and check gas flow. Do you have a spark with the plug grounded?

Bruce(OR)
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: No Spark! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Wouldn't be the first time I have seen new points that are glazed over.
You might simply drag a points file over them and see what you get.

Thomas (AB)
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: No Spark! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Checked the gas....got gas flow.
I have no spark when the plug is grounded. Going to try dragging a file across the points.
Thanks All!!

miner09
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: No Spark! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You can put a wire straight from positive post to the coil battery side + and if it runs then you know what to look for.A broke wire or loose. If it doesn't run then you know it is in the distributor.

phil(va)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: No Spark! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have had similar thing happen as Tony said. Tried the usual stuff with TO-30 that didn't have fire. Pulled one plug wire and put in spark tester, the type you buy from Northern Tool for 5 bucks, and tractor started right up.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Harry Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.