Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WD Magneto Rotor

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stageone59
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:15 am    Post subject: WD Magneto Rotor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am trying to get an old WD started. It has a magneto and the rotor looks pretty burned so I would like to replace it. Does it just pull off or is there more holding it on? While searching here for information on this I saw a post about using plug wires with a real wire core. Is this a must and where might I find this type of wire. All the auto parts stores around here say they don't handle wire like that. Thanks, DJ

Bama Dee
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: WD Magneto Rotor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You do indeed want to use wire sparkplug wires on magneto ignitions, using resistive (carbonfiber) type will eat up the magneto. I bought a couple of feet from CarQuest, and made up a set for my WC.

greygoat
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: WD Magneto Rotor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A lot of the Tractor and steam engine shows,that
have a flea market, will have venders selling
copper core wires. I was at the big Baraboo,
Wisconsin show 2 weeks ago, and there were 3
there selling it, for about $1 a foot. Antique
tractor and engine magazines like "Antique Power"
and "Gas Engine Magazine" have ads for, wire,
ends, and magneto parts,finally,look up "Branson
Enterprises" at:www.bransonenterprises.com for
wire, terminals,boots, and magneto parts.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: WD Magneto Rotor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I know for a fact that O'Reilly's has or can get the true wire plug wires BTDT more then once. As for info on your mag if you send me an e-mail I can then in turn send you a manual for the 2 common mags used on the A/C tractors.

kly
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: WD Magneto Rotor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

fairbanks rotors on type J and X just pull off. Sometimes they get too rusty and then I heat and bend the end of a screwdriver so I can get behind the rotor and pull stright out on it.

Copper core wires are easy to find. they are on ebay and most farm supply stores like TSC carries them.

stageone59
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: WD Magneto Rotor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would like to thank all for their contributions. I was able to get the rotor off, find real wire plug wire at a Carquest and get the magneto back in and the tractor runs great. Thanks again, DJ

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Allis Chalmers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.