Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

990 diesel

View previous topic :: View next topic  
x5farmer
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: 990 diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Today we purchased a 990 diesel at an auction --- story is that this tractor was driven from coast to coast to show dealers -- it has a very tall cab - maybe for driving long days!!!!! Painted on the fender is: Driver Jim Clark!!!

Does anyone know anything about this tractor???
It is in beautiful shape-- no PTO - no hydraulics!!!!!!!

bock
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 990 diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

does it have a faster road gear than normal? i read a article a bout something like you are talking of but i thought it was a super 99,they put different gears in it to get better fuel milage

dkeav
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 990 diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

http://gasengine.farmcollector.com/Tractors/The-Oliver-Gang.aspx?page=2

That link has some more information. If you can verify that is the actual tractor you might have something there.

ollie gm
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 990 diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This is the photo I found that had the Jim Clark's name attached to it. It sold for $11k, s/n 82923954.

I also thought is was a Super99 with turf tires. ??

x5farmer
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: 990 diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It does have a very fast road gear-- serial number is 8292395 -- if this is the same tractor, some one certainly did a good job of restoring it--when and where was the picture taken-- this tractor was in the Nelson collection that was sold a year or more ago in Willmar, MN -- anyone with more info?????

oliver fan
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: 990 diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think he and his family made the first trip in 1959 and the second in 1960. In 1959 there was an article printed in a Oliver Better Farming magazine about the first trip.

A second article was in a General Motors Detroit Diesel magazine called "Power Parade". I think it was printed in the 1960's because it talks about both trips. That magazine also tells about different companies that used Detroit Diesels in their equipment.

Within the last 20 years there has been at least two antique tractor magazines that had a story about that trip. One was Antique Power and the other was the HPOCA magazine.

x5farmer
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: 990 diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I just rechecked the serial # and it does have a 4 on the end which I didn't see last night so apparently it is the same tractor -- I wish I could post a picture but am not that computer savy -- does anyone any of the Clark family???

gordey
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: 990 diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That other picture is from the sale it sold at before the nelson collection a few years ago its been around the auction block alot. There was a discussion on it before, look back in the archives you should find an original picture.

J. Schwiebert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: 990 diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think the gears were changed back. I know the man that owned it before it sold on a sale over by Toledo a couple of years ago.

Brian Jasper co. Ia
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 990 diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Seems like I read about the coast to coast trips on a 990. Might have been in Oliver Heritage? Seems like the article said that Oliver made a set of gears specifically for that tractor and upped the max engine speed so it would run about 40 MPH. You might get in touch with Sherry Schaefer at Oliver Heritage. I'm sure she would want to do a story on that tractor. She probably would know the answer to any questions you have too.

larry duda
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 990 diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I saw this tractor at the Raymond Fork estate sale on September 12 2009. There were 3 990's on that auction. I came from central Illinois to buy one of them. Kurt Aumann tried to talk me into buying this one. I ended up buying the one with 30" tires on it instead. It did not have turf tires on it then. I talked to the mechanic that rebuilt the motor on it. I then saw it one year later at the Nelson auction in Minn. later. It sold for $17,500 at that sale. It was restored then and was a great restoration job. If you Google this tractor you will find some information about it. When Jim Clark had it they pulled a camper behind it and drove it to Fairbanks, Alaska. I had some pictures of it from the Minn. auction, if I find them I will post them. Larry

TJV
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 990 diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

that tractor sold at auction on Aug 7 2010 in willmar MN as part of the nelson collection. I was at that auction and found my notes it btought 17500 back then

J. Schwiebert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 990 diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Fork did not own the tractor. The man that owned the tractor was a Detroit diesel mechanic.

SherryS
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: 990 diesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have original pictures that Dad took in 1959 when the tractor was sitting at the Charles City factory with the camper behind it.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Oliver, Cletrac, Coop and Cockshutt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.