Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Share thoughts on roll away tool boxes

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Butch(OH)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:29 am    Post subject: Share thoughts on roll away tool boxes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I need to replace my 35 year old Craftsman roll away and top box. Realy don't care to take out a second mortgage for a Snap On but dont want to be buying a box every 2-3 years either. Places like Greg Smith Equipment in Indianapolis and others sell what I will call mid priced boxes that seem to be a step above the current crop of crapsman elcheapo boxes. Is there a decent quality box for somebody like me who owns a ton of tools but doesnt use them to earn a living?

kito169
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:45 am    Post subject: Re: Share thoughts on roll away tool boxes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

too bad your not close to central Texas. I have a triple bay Matco bottom box that I don"t need since I retired. I would make you agood deal.

Uncle Ernie
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: Share thoughts on roll away tool boxes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tool truck guys often have trade in boxes that they part with at reasonable prices.
Craftsman upper line boxes are pretty good for the money.The bargain ones are crap.
Costco has good prices on boxes of reasonable quality.

dave2
Tractor Guru

Location: Kutzberg, Germany 1972 IHC 423 (German). 2.5 Liter 3cyl direct injection diesel 42HP

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: Share thoughts on roll away tool boxes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I hear the harbor freight boxes are real good............

the tractor vet
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: Share thoughts on roll away tool boxes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There have been a ton of them super high dollar Snap Off tool boxes on craigs list for a third of the cost .

John A.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: Share thoughts on roll away tool boxes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Butch, I have been looking at heavy Roll-Away Boxes. I Second,.... the Harbor Freight, U.S. General Boxes. They are heavier than most All!!!... Box-Store brands, There are 2 different Base units, a Top unit, a Side Closet unit. and a shelf for the opposite side. About $1200 for it all! if on sale some cheaper! Hope this helps!
Later,
John A.

John730D
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: Share thoughts on roll away tool boxes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Harbor Freight. I have 4 of theese boxes. Great quality, right price when on sale. Built heavy, you won't be disappointed. I don't buy much there, but these are good.
Here it is. On sale now

BIG ED
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Share thoughts on roll away tool boxes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Round her [Georgia/South Carolina ] I'm seeing a lot of "name brand' boxes ,used, reasonable. ecomony??

Krapie
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Share thoughts on roll away tool boxes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Butch, where in Ohio?

Kennedy makes some sturdy boxes. They used to have a store that carried scratch and dent boxes in Van Wert, OH. Some had minimal damage or damage would be hidden against a wall, but the prices were reasonable.

Wile E
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Share thoughts on roll away tool boxes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Try to get a used one.
Ebay, or craigslist.

When I was in HS metal shop (a long time ago) a kid in my shop class made his own rollaway box for his project. (looked good)

I almost wouldnt mind getting a set of dressers (wood furniture) and using these for tool storage. Line the drawers with felt, put on a wearable surface for the top. (good to go)

sflem849
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Share thoughts on roll away tool boxes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My buddies dad bought the US General at HF a couple years ago. We ribbed him for it pretty hard for a few months. Other than having to push the unlock way on the right of the drawer I am impressed with the box.

NCWayne
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Share thoughts on roll away tool boxes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Between Dad and myself we have about 6 oldCraftsman boxes, most of them in the 30 year old plus range, and one large Waterloo box. When we outgrew the Craftsman boxes Dad got the Waterloo as a scratch an dent from J&L when they had a store in Charlotte. It is a really nice box and has stood up to near daily use LOADED DOWN with tools.

That said, don't rely on name brands, etc, etc to make a decision. If you look at all of the different brands, nearly all of them are build pretty close to the same way. The biggest difference in them, and to me what makes a box a nice one or a piece of junk, is the drawer slides. The rest is just sheet metal and one pice of metal of a certain guage is just as good as another, regardless of color or what name they give it. So, check out the slides, make sure they look good, slide good, keep the drawer straight side to side as it slides in and out, and don't let the drawer droop at full extension etc, etc. If they are sturdy enough to accomplish those things, and the guage metal used in constructing the box is sufficient to handle the weight your putting in it, then the box ought to be a good one, regardless of brand.

kris Jensen
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Share thoughts on roll away tool boxes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Costco has a really nice stainless steel double set of drawers, its about five feet wide with a hardwood top, (could double as a bench) was under 600.00 (cdn).
Good luck finding one.
Kris

flambeauone
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Share thoughts on roll away tool boxes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Company I work for decided to supply all the tools,so they sent everyones personal box home. They bought big Snap on boxes a couple years back, I dont know too many that dont absolutely hate those boxes. The drawer slides get grinding dust in them so the ball bearings quit rolling. The company has slowly been replacing them by just hanging everything on the wall and painting a shadow of the tool behind it. Its worked very well here, you can see whats missing easily and everything has its place. Im planning on doing the same at the house, its not for everyone but I am impressed.

Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Share thoughts on roll away tool boxes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Craftsman offers several versions of their toolboxes. The more expensive ones are better made and have more features.

I have a 25 year old Craftsman box set that has served me well and I cannot complain for the price that I paid. I am not a professional mechanic and would certainly not recommend my set up for someone who is.

I have noticed that the TOL Craftsman boxes offered these days are much better made than my 25 year old set.

Dean

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.