Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WD45 final drive gear pan gasket

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fife Lake Fritz
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:36 am    Post subject: WD45 final drive gear pan gasket Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I went to change the leaking gasket on the final drive gear pan. I removed the gear oil thinking that I will have to turn the pan a certain way to remove it. But I have a nasty feeling that I will have to remove the whole tire to get it off.

The plan was, to make up one from cork gasket. Now I'm wondering if I could make a two part gasket and use some type of silicone gasket sealer to seal it.

Any thoughts or ideas greatly appreciated.

Old???

Fife Lake Fritz
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: WD45 final drive gear pan gasket Reply to specific post Reply with quote

OOPS I got it . Once I soaked up the remanding oil with rags. I played with it a bit and it just dropped out. Thanks anyways

Bob Bancroft
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: WD45 final drive gear pan gasket Reply to specific post Reply with quote

After what I paid for OEM cork gaskets for a B several years ago- I think I would go over the pan with a little hammer on a flat surface- making sure the pan flange is true, and try silicone alone.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: WD45 final drive gear pan gasket Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The last one I did was on my C and I use silicone for the gasket instead of trying to make one or buy one. I did that probably 5 or so years ago and it has not leaked yet

Fife Lake Fritz
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: WD45 final drive gear pan gasket Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I ended up using 1/32" FEL-Pro tan fiber sheet plus a thin bead of silicone on both sides for good measure.

I noticed in my manual that it mentions several times about using shelac as a sealeant on various parts, I wonder if silicone couldn't be used in those situations?

I eventually found some shellac at Home depot but it took awhile to find it.

Thanks again guy's

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: WD45 final drive gear pan gasket Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A little over a year ago I built a tractor out of 3 dead tractors and used only used gaskets and silicone to do all the gaskets including the head gasket. On the head gasket I use 6 coats of aluminum paint as the sealer and it has worked and ran just fine ever since. I used 2 Farmall Bs and an A to do it and I call it my BA

Orange fever
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: WD45 final drive gear pan gasket Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ive used black silicone RTV. It's thicker and works great. Put a nice bead on the pan, bolt it on, let it dry. You'll have great results.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: WD45 final drive gear pan gasket Reply to specific post Reply with quote

On A/C tractors I use the red or orange stuff it blend in better and as long as the high heat stuff does as good as the black stuff but hides a whole lot better then the black LOL

Gary in da UP
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: WD45 final drive gear pan gasket Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Rick, are you fooling with the orange ones now?
Did you get the Powerwagon going? Gary

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Allis Chalmers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.