Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Piston compression height differences

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason S.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:05 pm    Post subject: Piston compression height differences Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Does anybody know what the compression height differences
are for a TO20 piston verses a TO30?

Jason S.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:32 am    Post subject: Re: Piston compression height differences Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think I found the answer. According to federal mogul a TO20 piston compression height is 1.980 and a TO30 is 1.875 which is .105 difference....that"s quite a bit. The reason I was asking is my TO20 runs great but it doesn"t have the pulling power that the TO30 I grew up with had. I"ve got a set of 3 5/16 sleeves...so all I need is a TO30 crank and I guess the pistons would have to be custom made with a 3 5/16 diameter and the 1.875 compression height....which would get me close to the power of a TO35 but still use theTO20 block. I know the valve sizes and combustion chamber is different between the two engines but that is a pretty easy fix. Does this sound like a plan?

Boss Hog
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: Piston compression height differences Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm wondering if with all that work you'll spend so much money you'd just be better off buying a TO-30.
Very Happy

Jason S.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Piston compression height differences Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well I'm sure I would be better off to buy a TO30...but they are harder to find...

JPFL

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: Piston compression height differences Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have used pistons, crankshafts for Z129 & Z120. Z120 block & head. Jim Peppers --No-Advertising-in-Forums

Duner Wi
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Piston compression height differences Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Don't know if this would work. Never tried it.
Z129 has 1/8 inch more stroke than Z120 so compression height should be .125 less, but Z129 has 6.6 compression versus 6.1 for Z120 maybe the .020 difference accounts for compression increase.
So if you took off .025 off the top of Z120 pistons you might have 8.1 compression. That might work with good gas. If you run into squish or quench problems I would want not much less than .032 . I have heard of down to .022 quench/ squish but never tried it .
I think you will have to flycut the head and I don't know how much you can take out. The only other thing i can think of is cut the top top off Z120 pistons .105. Hope the piston has enough material to cut off. I have no idea if this would work but something to think about. Or make your custom pistons and be done with it.

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Piston compression height differences Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I got custom pistons made for my MH 44, it started out at $600 and ended up at $1200. You really want to make sure that is the path before starting.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Harry Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.