Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

JD 300 with K341 leaking oil from front

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greenday
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:18 am    Post subject: JD 300 with K341 leaking oil from front Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a JD 300 garden tractor with a kohler K341 16 horse engine that I recently overhauled. It runs great with lots of power but after running it for about 25 minutes it will start leaking oil out the front from behind the pto. I have replaced the seal twice, checked to make sure there is not a groove wore in the crank, checked the breather to make sure it is assembled correctly. Like I said it runs great with no smoke so I have no reason to think that I am getting blow-by causing to much crankcase pressure. The oil is coming from behind the pto clutch somewhere. Any Ideas? I have rebuilt and ran kohler engines in my pulling tractors for years but have never encountered a problem like this. I am pulling my hair out! Any ideas? Thanks Dave

joe csuti
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: JD 300 with K341 leaking oil from front Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Measure crank for wear where bearing rides,may be worn,if bearings not replaced check for wear,check bearing plate for wear,bearing may have spun in bearing plate,wearing recess for bearing,check crank end play,check bearing plate for hairline stress cracks.

Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: JD 300 with K341 leaking oil from front Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Don t take this the wrong way, but is the seal in backwards? (I have done worse.) Check the breather valve too, they can stick and then they build crankcase pressure.

Greenday
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:57 am    Post subject: Re: JD 300 with K341 leaking oil from front Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Aha! I found the problem. Oil was seeping around where the camshaft pin press fits into the front of the block. I have no idea why it is leaking there and have never seen a kohler leak there before. I sealed the hole from the outside and no more oil leak!

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Garden Tractors All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.