Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Propane Minnis

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rich Iowa
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Propane Minnis Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't know a whole lot about Minneapolis Molines, never saw to many around when I was a kid. My aunt married a guy a few years ago whose father had a M602 LP and since then I have seen quite a few around, most of them being LP powered. What is up with all the LP Minnis? Did Minneapolis really push the LP fuel option for their tractors?

Another question... I'd like to learn more about Minneapolis Molines, I'm pretty well versed in Oliver and the models painted in Minneapolis yellow. Any suggestions on books that cover the company? The models that catch my eye so far are the "M" models and the G1000 Vista.

maj-mm
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Propane Minnis Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes, MM Pushed LP. in an MM Engine, the LP was built as heavy as a Diesel, it was more fuel Efficient, Had Higher Horsepower & Could last many times longer between required overhauls. There are MM Power Units with over 100,000 hours on them!

So far the Peterson / Beemer Book is the best on MM Tractors. I am slowly working on a book that will be much more comprehensive, covering all Tractors, Engines, implements etc., many of which have not yet been covered in any of the MM books. ~ Marty

Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Propane Minnis Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When they got really going on propane, it was as cheap as 4-5 cents a gallon here in kansas and oklahoma. MM's on propane are very common to still see here. I bought a running uts once at a farm sale for $175 in the late 80's....It wasn't in that bad a shape either.

Albert Goerzen

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Propane Minnis Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My dad bought a G1000 Vista LP in 1969. It was just about responsible for my dad quitting farming. It was our main field tractor for 5 years, and we never took off a crop with the same engine we put it in with. In the summer, cultivating summerfallow, if you pulled it to rated HP it would burn a valve right now. I remember the pile of scored blocks and pistons behind the shop from that era. It would get so hot that at night the exhaust would glow red right to the top of the stack. I think it might be the reason my brother and i became mechanics, we grew up fixing engines. I was 4-9 years old when that tractor was around. Years later we discovered it had the wrong water pump on it from new, it had the small diameter pump instead of the larger one the larger G's had. The dealer that sold us that tractor was never able to solve the issue. They always denied us any warranty coverage because the type of scoring on the blocks indicated we had over heated it. Duh, there was no way to keep it cool.

Rich Iowa
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: Propane Minnis Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the book suggestion. Most of the Minnis I see these days are LP powered. I have an Oliver 770 which runs on LP as well so more propane wouldn't bother me.

Freddy
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Propane Minnis Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You had fuel problems. running way to lean. We have a G900, G950, G1050 and G1000 all on propane. Never heard of that with them tuned right.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Minneapolis Moline All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.