Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

John Deere 350 sickle mower breaks cup on Knife Head

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pdreed
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:45 pm    Post subject: John Deere 350 sickle mower breaks cup on Knife Head Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I recently purchased a 350 mower and knife head cup was broken. Welded it and it broke so I bought a complete knife with knife head cup. Used for about 2 hours today an d it broke. Inspecting the gear drive where arm attaches to cutter bar knife, I noticed that there appears to be a good deal of wiggle in bar with counter balance. Is this normal or should the arm be fairly tight when operating? The cover plate over housing does not seem to be to hard to remove to inspect further or am I dreaming.

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:33 am    Post subject: Re: John Deere 350 sickle mower breaks cup on Knife Head Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That mower knife head is the same as some of JD's Mo-Co's. Any type wear or looseness will cause knife head to break from the slack. On Mo-Co's slack in the splines where arm(parts key #33A) fit on wobble box was the problem. I realize that 33A is built different than Mo-Co's arm but the principle is the same IE knife head changing directions at a high rate of speed. I would also inspect needle brg(parts key #28) for wear(looseness). Also the knife drive head pin could also be worn.

Last edited by Tx Jim on Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:00 am; edited 3 times in total
pdreed
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: John Deere 350 sickle mower breaks cup on Knife Head Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thank you so much. I'll get into wobble box and check it further. Needle bearings are new and well lubricated, and shaft from pulley seems to be good and tight so apparently the problem is just with the arm. I'll let you know when I am able to get to it. Am thru with cutting now so may be a while. Thanks again.

gbs
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: John Deere 350 sickle mower breaks cup on Knife Head Reply to specific post Reply with quote

neighbors 25 foot header got to where it was snapping cutter bars right often at a cost of 900 each, after he had to replace the wobble box problem went away there was to much lost motion in the wobble box causing a shock load effect

pdreed
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: John Deere 350 sickle mower breaks cup on Knife Head Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tx Jim: Another question please. After looking at the parts breakdown page, I was intending on getting to the problem by first removing the Drive Head cover to get to the cutter bar and check the bearings. A friend, who was a JD mechanic, offered to help me and he advised that I remove the skid plate and sickle bar and start from the bottom. I'm not a mechanic but have done various repairs etc and would appreciate your comments on way to get to the shaft, etc. BTW, I misread your comments about the needle bearing. I see the one you were referring to. I was referring to the one in the cup. Thanks again for your help. God Bless.

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: John Deere 350 sickle mower breaks cup on Knife Head Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sorry I have no experience on the correct dis-assembly as there were none of those mowers sold at the dealership I worked for. All the help I can be is looking up the parts.

James Howell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: John Deere 350 sickle mower breaks cup on Knife Head Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The John Deere Technical Manual TM-1076 illustrates how to remove and repair the mower drive case.

Remove the sub sole from the inner shoe and check the four cap screws ( bolts ) that secure the cutter bar.

Photobucket

Checked the cap screws on our 350 mower yesterday and discovered that all four were broken.

Photobucket

Photobucket

This may have caused the knife head to break on our mower a couple of weeks ago.

Make sure the cap screws are tight and not broken.

Hope this helps.

pdreed
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: John Deere 350 sickle mower breaks cup on Knife Head Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thank you very much. I had tried to find a shop manual but had been unable to locate. I will order one from the link you gave. There is plenty of time for me to work on the mower since I am through mowing for this season.
I have never used a forum before and am pleased to find so many kind and helpful people. You folks are wonderful. God bless you for your kindness and may His Grace be multiplied to you.

Dweitzel
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: John Deere 350 sickle mower breaks cup on Knife Head Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Place the cutter bar down flat, keep hands out of the way and hand turn the belt keeping an eye on the bearing cup and the counter weight. Both pieces should travel in a flat horizontal plane from side to side. I would expect that the bearing cup is being deflected at the beginning of the stroke and the end. The bearings in the wobble box of mine were doing the same when purchased. The deflection caused on the bearing cup would fatigue the metal and snap it after very short usage. The only fix I could see is to take it to a JD dealer. Hope the lower cast part of the wobble box is good. That is around $700 if memory serves me. The wobble shaft is around $2500. If you see deflection, have the JD dealer refurbish the wobble box and you should be good for a LONG time. Just keep grease in all fittings. If you have a machine shop, bearing presses you may be able to do the work yourself. Please let us know what you find.

pdreed
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: John Deere 350 sickle mower breaks cup on Knife Head Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the additional information. It will be a while before I get into the wobble box. However, if the cost approachs the figures mentioned, ---there will be a 350 for sale for parts. A blessed day to everyone.

pdreed
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: John Deere 350 sickle mower breaks cup on Knife Head Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. I am in process of putting back together but the problem was in wobble box. The shaft and bearings at center of cutter bar (parts from Diagram #25 & #29) were shot. Parts cost less than $150.00. Should be good to go after get heavy parts back on. (Bar & Knives).
All of your helpful comments and information is appreciatee.
Merry Christmas to all.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Implement Alley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.