Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Finally found one

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brad Buchanan
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject: Finally found one Reply to specific post Reply with quote

After looking high and low for a 3 tine hay fork I finally found one.

Was taking my wife to a hospital for a treatment I had a few minutes to kill. I went into one of those 'tourist trap' shops in
Vermont and found this fork.

It has a slender hardwood handle and works great for turning my compost over. Paid $40.00 for it

Brad

Billy NY
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Finally found one Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Union offers that same style fork
Union Tools

Unruh
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally found one Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Out here in "small grain country", we would call that a bundle fork, used for pitching oat, wheat etc. bundles onto a "rack" and then transported to the threshing machine where the bundles were fed into the threshing machine using "the bundle fork". It was important for the bundles to be fed into the machine with the heads of grain first.
A hay fork, here, has four tines with rounded corners like your hay fork. If they are square, it's most likely a manure fork although there are some rather large straw forks with square corners on them.

Bret4207
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally found one Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Huh. Up here on the Canadian border in NY that's a hay fork. A bundle fork has 2 tines around here. anything with 4-6 tines tends to be a manure fork. Silage forks have a hole mess of tines and a D handle.

Must be differing locations have different names.

Ted in NE-OH

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally found one Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Interesting what some of think is an antique is still made new. OH well.

hd6gtom
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally found one Reply to specific post Reply with quote

hayfork

Kippster
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally found one Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Wow. You need to go to more farm auctions. The last 3 tine fork I bought I paid 8 bucks for at a farm auction. I could buy one every week at the local auction barn for 15

Dick
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally found one Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Lots of bundle forks around but to find a good bundle fork with a long slender handle is hard to find. Even hay fork handles are almost impossible to find. There are lots of fork handles out there but to find a handle that is long and slender is next to impossible. Is there someone out there that makes hay fork handles? Either for a three tine or four tine, makes no difference. Long and slender is what you need on a hay fork. You can buy hay forks new nowadays but you will notice that the tines are heavier and the handle is shorter and heavier. I doubt you could find a new hay fork with tines like Brad bought with the small diameter tines. You don't need anything heavy for handling bundles or loose hay so something lighter is what you want.
Most all farm stores carry fork handles but they are for manure forks as they are heavier for lifting fork fulls of manure, silage or yard debris.
During haymaking I always have a four tine hay fork handy, it's like Brads fork but with four light tines. I carry one on the tractor when raking and baling and it gets used daily. Handy in the barn too for feeding. If you find one, hang on to it because as far as I know, they don't make them anymore. If you need a handle I hope someone on here can help you out.

retired farmer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally found one Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I bought one of those years ago after I got my ranch. Never could figure out what it was good for. Sure couldn't pitch any hay with it. Got a four tine and it worked a little better but not much. Finally found a five tine which worked like it was supposed to.

Pale Rider
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally found one Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My relatives in Manitoba call it a Manure fork and use them to clean stalls.

I was lucky enough to find an ancient one down by the creek with the remnants of a broken wooden handle which was simply thrown away and buried. I got a handle for it and value it all the more to place it back in service.

Brad Buchanan
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally found one Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for all the interesting comments on this subject.

While I wanted this fork for my compost pile I have used them for their intended purpose. This particular one has the tines that actually deeper than they are wide if that makes any sense.

I really looked for a new model of this fork and really didn't find any that had the slender tines and smaller diameter handle. I actually asked one of the fellows in town who has a store and him and his sons wear the straw hats. He said that he didn't know any place to buy new and the only place to get them was farm or estate auctions and they were going for $75.00 and up.

Again, thanks for the interest and I learned a lot!

Brad

Brian G. NY
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally found one Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I"ve always seen it as Brett has; except my Dad had a 2-tine hay fork as well as a 3-tiner.
I just discovered a 2 tiner out in the corner of my MIL"s woodshed; I will add it to my collection of "old stuff".

howdy1960
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Finally found one Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here's an idea...ask the Amish what they would use it for Smile
I was taught was used mostly for 'thrashing" straw in stalls by my great GrG'Pa(born late 1800s), while another one was used for loading hay onto haywagon.

farmer boy
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally found one Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Those are available at any farm store around here(TSC, Co-op, Home Hardware). Available for $22. I can't find a real good use for them. A 7 tine silage fork moves loose hay alot more effectively than that.

Bret4207
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: Finally found one Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The modern ones have heavy, clunky heads and lousy handles. The whole fork is heavy. Best fork I ever used was all wood. Light as a feather and strong. I have no clue whatever became of it.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.