Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

assembly of starter?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RalphWD45
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:30 pm    Post subject: assembly of starter? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I pulled a B Allis Chalmers starter apart, replaced the 4 brushes, cleaned the armature comuter, and now cant get the brushes to stay back so I can put the armature back in. How do you keep the brushes out of your way till you put the armature in?

LKM
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: assembly of starter? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The brushes are held in contact with the commutator by spring tension. Use a heavy thread or small wire and tie the brush holder and brush back on at least 3 of the brushes while holding the forth back with a small hook type object. Slip the communator back into position and release the springs. I personally use baling wire to make small hooks and secure them to a bolt or any feasable place on the outside of the case.

Dalex
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: assembly of starter? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is it a Delco or an Autolite /Prestolite ?

thurlow
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: assembly of starter? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Don't recall ever rebuilding an A-C starter, but on the ones I have rebuilt, I've balanced the starter on its other end, slide the outside down over it and hold the brushes back with 2 fingers on each hand.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: assembly of starter? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not 100% sure on that one but most of them you can pull the brushes back to the point the spring hold the bushes up and out of the way but not so far as to have the springs drop back in. Then you still the armature in then one by one push the brushes down to the point the springs take over

MarkB_MI
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:44 am    Post subject: Re: assembly of starter? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Pull the springs out of the way so you can retract the brushes. Once a brush is halfway out of its holder, let go of its spring. The spring will push against the side of the brush and hold it in place while you assemble the starter. Then just pull the springs back again, slide in the brushes and return the springs to their proper locations.

Dusty MI
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:38 am    Post subject: Re: assembly of starter? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How's the bearings ? Most times they need replacing.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: assembly of starter? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've done it with string.

pete 23
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: assembly of starter? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

On delco's I always pull end plate first and install last with brush's on it and just work one brush at a time on to commutator. I say this because I have seen so many try to leave the end plate on and inset commutator through barrel into end plate. You may have a different starter but after you do a few hundred one always figures out a way to readily do it.

Mike (WA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: assembly of starter? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Wife is a dental hygienist, so we always have a lot of dental floss hanging around. It is very strong, and not bulky like string. Tie brush up and out of the way, and stick an Xacto knife in to cut it when the time comes.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.