Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hay Crimper

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Texasmark1
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:52 pm    Post subject: Hay Crimper Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Got tired of the sickle bar haybines or whatever you choose to call them; sickle bar, reel rake, crimping rollers and discharge. The older JD name for a good one was the JD 1209.

Well things have changed and now I have the cutter, all I want to do is crimp the fat stems. Looking for a crimper

Located in N. TX.

Any help?

Thanks,
Mark

bison
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Hay Crimper Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The only crimper worth its salt are close to or full cutterbar width,..the rest are worthless.

Nebraska Cowman
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Hay Crimper Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yeah, well dad had one when I was a kid. I never was so glad to see the hind end of something go down the driveway. That was over 40 years ago and I ain't going back.

Bret4207
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Hay Crimper Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There was a newly made crimper advertised in the Lancaster Farming paper last week. Might start looking there.

I had a NH crimper, a 404 IIRC. Never worked worth a hoot.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Hay Crimper Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I spent a lot of time with a pocket knife under a Cunningham as a kid. Now it seems that people are looking for them to recon after their mower-conditioner.

LaVern Skarzenski
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Hay Crimper Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not that it really matters, but wasn't the NH 404 considered a "crusher" and not a crimper. If I remember correctly (and I may not because I'm talking around 1966-69) it had a smooth steel upper roller and a rubber lower roller with spiral grooves running across the length of the roller. The New Ideas of the day were crushers with steel rollers that meshed with each other and actually crimped the hay.

The 404 was a great improvement over just cutting with a sickle bar and letting it lay until dry enough to rake and bale, but it had to be adjusted just right to prevent wrapping the hay around the rollers and plugging up, Whereas the New Ideas our neighbors had and we borrowed a few times before we had the 404 were great with no problems plugging. (As far as I remember any way) Smile
LaVern
P.S. Like show crop above stated, I remember spending a lot of time under that 404 with a jack knife too.
LJS

Last edited by LaVern Skarzenski on Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
DiyDave
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Hay Crimper Reply to specific post Reply with quote

look for a New Idea model 571, if I recall right, one rubber, 1 steel roll. The NH 404, was similar, but not as good, IMHO. Smuckers welding will pay for older crushers, they rebuild them with splined metal rolls, making them crimpers. They are the ones that have the ad in lancaster farming.

Don-Wi
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Hay Crimper Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We got a New Idea crimper we use for fluffing grass in the swamp after a rain or whatever. Dad also ran some of our 4th crop through it 2 days after cutting as our haybine is a 14' cut and has a 4' crimper. It did make a difference in drydown on that stuff. What we didn't crimp was a little tougher, but it still made good hay.

Donovan from Wisconsin

Texasmark1
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Hay Crimper Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.

Bret4207
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Hay Crimper Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'll tell you this much- if I had a choice between a crimper and a tedder, there wouldn't be a moments hesitation- go for the tedder.

mudcreek183
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Hay Crimper Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am with Bret 4207 get a tedder we had a JD when I was growing up spent more time under it with a knife then anything else and the hay never dried any quicker then if we just cut it with the just the cutter and left dry on its own

Texasmark1
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: Hay Crimper Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a tedder but that doesn't help to let the moisture out of the
stems (which crimping does) and regardless of how you plant and
cut, there are plenty.

Thanks,
Mark

Bret4207
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Hay Crimper Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Texasmark1 wrote:
(quoted from post at 06:15:00 09/14/12) I have a tedder but that doesn't help to let the moisture out of the
stems (which crimping does) and regardless of how you plant and
cut, there are plenty.

Thanks,
Mark

What are you cutting with? A sickle bar mower or something?

Texasmark1
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: Hay Crimper Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Drum mower. I got sick and tired of fighting sickles and all their
hangups; must have had half a dozen over the years, and a disc
moco costs too much money (I have a small operation). Besides, I
don't like the mechanics of the disc cutting drive system. Too many
parts to wear out and housing to break....every used one I ever saw
had lots of braze welding done to the under side.

The drum is a walk in the park.

Mark

Texasmark1
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: Hay Crimper Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Drum mower. I got sick and tired of fighting sickles and all their
hangups; must have had half a dozen over the years, and a disc
moco costs too much money (I have a small operation). Besides, I
don't like the mechanics of the disc cutting drive system. Too many
parts to wear out and housing to break....every used one I ever saw
had lots of braze welding done to the under side.

The drum is a walk in the park.

Mark

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Implement Alley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.