Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

kohler kt17qs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rippel
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:14 am    Post subject: kohler kt17qs Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hey guys is a kt17qs worth rebuilding.

Brian G. NY
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: kohler kt17qs Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If it is a "Series-II", it is certainly worth rebuilding if there are no seriously broken parts.
The Series-II is very similar to the Magnum-18 engine and has a fully pressurized oiling system.
I have heard some bad things about the earlier KT-17 engines when used on garden tractors or other applications where they are seriously tipped during use which causes loss of lubrication.

rippel
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: kohler kt17qs Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The tractor has been in the family since it was new so I would like to rebuild. The motor started to smoke from the exaust this weekend followed by a knock, it still runs.

Rick54
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: kohler kt17qs Reply to specific post Reply with quote

it all depends on how you look at it and if you can do it all yourself otherwise in my shop we do very few engine rebuilds. it is cheaper just to drop a new replacemnt into it. labor issue is what gets you into trouble for costs. like said if you get parts and do yourself you could but if go to shop or hire done very seldom does it pay out

Bill Lisbon
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: kohler kt17qs Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would replace it with a magnum 18. I fill they never made a good KT 17.

Greenday
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:32 am    Post subject: Re: kohler kt17qs Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Series II yes it has pressure lube system. Series I NO it has no pressure lube system and can stare for oil when operated on a slope for extended periods

Brian G. NY
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: kohler kt17qs Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Now Bill,
Tell me all the differences between the M-18 and the KT-17 other than the Magnum had provision for an oil filter.

Bill Lisbon
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: kohler kt17qs Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The M18 has a pressure lube system and a better ignition. I have replaced the K17 in John Deere 317 and a Cub Cadet 682. Both tractor owners are well satisfied.

Brian G. NY
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: kohler kt17qs Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I forgot to specify KT-17 (Series-II) which does have fully pressurized oil system.
The Series I does not and (like you say) does have oiling problems.

Brian Dan
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: kohler kt17qs Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If I were you I would rebuild the KT17 series 1.
It must not have been too bad of a engine if it only lasted 30 years. Put in new rods, pistons and rings.
I have several of them and have not had any problems with them. Remember to keep it full of oil at all times.
Brian

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Garden Tractors All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.