Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trailering a tractor

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Inno
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject: Trailering a tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Picking up a tractor on the weekend (MF TO-35 with FEL) and I'll be trailering it about 125 miles through some hilly terrain. I have a good double axle trailer (two 7000lb axles) from a friend and just installed an electric brake controller on my truck.
Are heavy duty ratchet straps enough to hold her down or should I be getting some chains? What do you guys use?

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Trailering a tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What truck do you have?

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Trailering a tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would use 4 separate chains with binders.

Tie down

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Trailering a tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A lot of people prefer chains for equipment but I
think if you use at least 2" ratchet straps and they
don't go over any sharp edges would be fine. I find
that chains will come loose sometimes. Four
attachment points would be best.

Old Iowa
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Trailering a tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would get chains. The ratchet straps are not rated for that type of load. You don't need four chains on a MF 135 tractor. Use good series 70 load chains. One front and one rear will be fine.

Inno
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Trailering a tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The truck is a 1998 Chevy 1500 with a 350 engine.
I am hoping to get by with straps, I can get some very heavy duty ones from a neighbor. 4 straps, one over each axle and possibly another one pulling forward and one pulling backward. If I stop every 25 miles or so and check/re-tighten I think I should be ok.

jddriver
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Trailering a tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

straps are just as good as chains

d beatty

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Trailering a tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If I was using straps I would use 3"wide straps they are rated at 3,300lbs. work load limit.If keep tabs on the load you will have no problems. I have a 97 GMC K1500 and pull a 24FT. deckover hauling a Farmall 450 and handles it. I prefer 3/8 grade 70 chains on my load and use 4 chains on tractor.

Old Iowa
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Trailering a tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have never seen a chain cut where a strap will cut easily under load. You try hauling a tractor an have DOT inspect you and if you have straps on it you will be red tagged.

d beatty

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Trailering a tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You can use straps and DOT won't say a word if you have proper size straps on it.Straps get cut when driver doesn't put straps on right( they make an edging that you put over sharp corners). If you read the DOT regs. You can use chains, straps,cable and ropes (on certain loads.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:09 am    Post subject: Re: Trailering a tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Adequate straps are fine. Take note of OTR truck trailers, I see far more straps than chains. Be advised though that law requires a separate strap or chain for the loader. I trailer a tractor that size a lot with one chain in the rear through a clevis on the draw bar and a strap around the front pedestal. If the tractor were over 10,000 lbs the four chain rule would take effect.

jddriver
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: Trailering a tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

you are wrong I do this for a living for many years straps are great get used to it straps will not cut if used properly.Never seen a load red tagged for straps.You have no idea what you are talking about.

john in la
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: Trailering a tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Straps are legal but the problem is people want to use those 1 inch 400 lb straps from harbor freight with no edge protectors or have them pulling at a angle from the attaching point.

The one I do not understand is rope.
They say rope is legal and even give ratings for differant types and size ropes.
Then they say......
393.104(f)(1) Tiedowns and securing devices must not contain knots.
How the heck am I suppose to tie something down with a piece of rope and not use knots.

Old Iowa
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: Trailering a tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well I am glad you do this for a living. You are wrong about the strap issue. If you are using the four inch straps they are rated and tagged for DOT load binding. The better 2 and 3 inch are too but most of the 2 straps are not. If it does not have the tag in place then it is not legal to use for load binding. If you are using the regular 2 inch straps from a cheap supplier they are not rated or tagged for DOT load binding.

As for not knowing what I am talking about. I live directly across from the WI DOT scale at Dubuque. I get to see the loads/trucks get red tagged all of the time. It is fun watching the private guys hauling an old tractor all dolled up with a couple of two inch straps from Harbor Freight get red tagged and fined. See a lot of guy that have had straps repaired and not had the DOT tag put back on get ticketed too. The white rating tag MUST be on the strap or it is not legal.

You guys that want to use straps on a equipment load go ahead. Here is what the DOT officer I drink coffee with every morning told me this morning when I asked him about it. He look much harder at loads tied down with just straps. The tie down rating on straps is much lower than the working rating on the tags. So on a smaller tractor you may have to have as many as six straps to equal two chains. It all is the rating on the restraining device. His words not mine. He told me any strap with out a rating tag is a insecure load ticket from him. Yea he is a small puncture wound when he stops you but he is the one with the ability to write you a ticket.

So Like I said you guys can use what ever you want. Just know if it is straps you are going to be looked at harder. Plus personally I will take cold hard steel any day over a little piece of nylon.

Chip812
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Trailering a tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I use the 2" heavy duty industrial type straps when I trailer my MF35 (should be real similar in size to your TO35) and pull it with a Toyota Tundra (the smaller version) with a 4.7L V8... Does just fine... but.... I did upgrade the front brakes on the truck from the same size as Tacoma to same size as Sequoia... Slow and easy will git-er-done...

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.