Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MF 65 Hydraulic Pump Rebuid

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeff Ziegler

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:29 am    Post subject: MF 65 Hydraulic Pump Rebuid Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Time to rebuild the pump. I now I have to drain the transmission with the rear most plug and pop off the seat cover.

But does the PTO shaft have to be removed? Should I replace the PTO shaft seal at the same time? Or are the couplers on both sides of the pump that just have to be moved to one side?

DavidP, South Wales
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: MF 65 Hydraulic Pump Rebuid Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi Jeff,
You will need to remove the PTO shaft so that the pump can be moved rearwards to disengage the front coupler and then lifted out rear-end first.
It would be a good time to replace the seal.
DavidP, South Wales

Jeff Ziegler

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:58 am    Post subject: Re: MF 65 Hydraulic Pump Rebuid Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Does the main drive shaft come out? Or will the pump fit by it side ways?

DavidP, South Wales
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: MF 65 Hydraulic Pump Rebuid Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi Jeff,
Yes, it will be necessary to remove the splitpin from the sheartube and move the tube forwards onto the shaft. Then move the shaft rearwards to disengage and remove it. When refitting choose a splitpin hole that gives the least end-float but no load.
DavidP

Ray UK
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: MF 65 Hydraulic Pump Rebuid Reply to specific post Reply with quote

All good advice re removing the pump.

David - just out of interest have you ever seen on of these shear tubes actually break? I worked for an MF dealer here in East Kent for 6 years, in that time I removed many of them for various reasons but as far as I can remember they were all in one piece.
Ray.

DavidP, South Wales
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: MF 65 Hydraulic Pump Rebuid Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello Ray,
In my 40 years of MF experience I would have to say that I haven't actually seen one break either. I have had several where the splitpins have worn away, dropped out and disengaged though.
It is there as a safety device but in saying that it only shows what the tube and transmission is capable of withstanding.
You might have heard of the book Inside Massey Ferguson written by ex-MF Service Dept and Technical Author David Walker. Out of curiosity I will send him an email for his experience in this and post back.
DavidP, South Wales

Jeff Ziegler

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: MF 65 Hydraulic Pump Rebuid Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I got S.40843 installed but am unable to tighten the bolts and still have the shaft turn freely? The piston blocks will rock so I am pretty sure it is the brass blocks are binding. Is this normal and I should let the engine fix it? Or do I need to send it back? The middle fork moves just fine.

Does Sparex have a help line?

WellWorn
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: MF 65 Hydraulic Pump Rebuid Reply to specific post Reply with quote

David P, in only 8 years of owning a MF65, I can say that I have seen a drive coupling broken. To do it, you put a novice clutch user on the seat, have it in low reverse with the A4-203 at about 900 RPM, and while she is afraid to let off the brakes (both of them) on a very slight grade (that levels off within 10') she then pops the clutch.

The good news is that it offered the opportunity to get into the 65 to do some other much needed work, like rebuilding the hydraulics. The other good news is that she later greatly improved clutch techique on our other red tractor: the lil' old worn out (not enough power to destroy itself) SA.

Last edited by WellWorn on Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Massey Harris & Massey Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.