Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Automotive Car lifts-good/bad brands

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fred from MO
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:42 am    Post subject: Automotive Car lifts-good/bad brands Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Has anyone purchased an automotive 2 or 4 post lift recently? I had looked in to purchasing one many years ago for home use but the economy killed the brand I was looking at? Any good ones out there or most importantly any ones to avoid?

Brad Buchanan
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Automotive Car lifts-good/bad brands Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hey Fred.

I am in the market for the same thing.

Every one of the ones that I looked at seemed to be designed well. Unfortunately several ones I looked at (at guys I know who do auto repair) had welds that should be ground off and repaired.

Non-penetrating welds- what used to be called bird crap welds, pieces of mig wire still attached to welds and welds that wander off the joint.

Personally I am going to inspect any lift that I will buy before purchase. Probably cost a bit more but so be it.

Good luck,

Brad

co_mike
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Automotive Car lifts-good/bad brands Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Gents,
I wouldn't consider anything but a "Rotary". I have one in my barn that I bought from my previous boss it was 6 years old when he closed the business and I bought it, 8 years later it still performs and looks like new. It's 9,000 lb Asymmetrical 2-post these are used in most all auto dealerships. He originally paid $7K, I bought it for $2.5K. Rotary has been around a long time with in ground hoist going back to the 50's.
Be very careful with any cheaper brands, remember you will be working under this thing.
Just my 2 cents......

jose bagge
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Automotive Car lifts-good/bad brands Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Rotary 's are the only way to go...outlast the Challengers and other lifts we've used probably 2 or 3 to one.

When it comes to auto shop equipment, I'm a big fan of Rotary lifts, Coats mounters/balancers and Hunter alignment instruments. They just flat out get the job done right with the fewest problems.

Mike M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Automotive Car lifts-good/bad brands Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'd like to get one,but wasn't smart enough to make my building tall enough !

Bryan inIowa
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Automotive Car lifts-good/bad brands Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a Rotary and like it ,,had it for years. Just install a 15,000 lb Atlas and love it ! install liked alot of the things atlas did. LOT cheaper than rotary or challenger .

Lou from Wi.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Automotive Car lifts-good/bad brands Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Brad Buchanan
What you described sounds like a suicide lift.lol
LOU

Charles (in GA)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:40 am    Post subject: Re: Automotive Car lifts-good/bad brands Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Mohawk is probably the best. Rotary is subject to a lot of reputation and is certainly good quality, be aware that "Rotary Revolution" lifts are not the same as this is a different company that is owned by the same parent holding company that owns Rotary and they applied the Rotary name to the Revolution lifts to sell a cheaper quality lift.

Challenger is a good lift, I have a two post 9000 lb I bought used in excellent condition.

Lots of choices, study carefully and know the differences in features and also usefulness of a two vs four post.

Charles

ASEguy
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: Automotive Car lifts-good/bad brands Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hunter is the best I've ever used. We have a four post open front lift with 8,000 pound swing arms at our school. They are pricey.

HWess
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: Automotive Car lifts-good/bad brands Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What do you guys think about "Back Yard Buddy"?

Uncle Ernie
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Automotive Car lifts-good/bad brands Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Fred. I know nothing of this brand but the prices make me want to order one today!
They have to be as good as the hydraulic jack and jack stands I am using now...
Low prices

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Automotive Car lifts-good/bad brands Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Fred from MO wrote:
(quoted from post at 19:42:10 09/14/12) Has anyone purchased an automotive 2 or 4 post lift recently? I had looked in to purchasing one many years ago for home use but the economy killed the brand I was looking at? Any good ones out there or most importantly any ones to avoid?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtO5Ydnnc7Y

I have 3 Worth lifts and one Mohawk... I do not like Rotary lifts and don't want to work under one of them... What is so special about them I dunno... If you are lifting ton trucks I suggest you do not get a asymmetric and get at least a 12K are move up to a 15K.... What you buy is gonna be what you are stuck with....

The only reason I have a few asymmetric lifts is if you do this all day they speed up the process on lite trucks and cars...

Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Automotive Car lifts-good/bad brands Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just use this for information, they have a video that you should watch.
Untitled URL Link

Sprint 6
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:11 am    Post subject: Re: Automotive Car lifts-good/bad brands Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I wouldn't buy one of the foreign, cheap made lift. Remember it is your life under it, and I like to live. I have seen the arms bowing on a Korean made 8K lift with just a car on it.

I personally own a Challenger 10K unit made in Kentucky. I am very pleased with it and have run it near its capacity with 1 ton dump trucks.

greygoat
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Automotive Car lifts-good/bad brands Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A Question to all that responded: In what
country are the lifts, mentioned here, made ?

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.