Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

6v to 12v conv. question

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Karl Gant

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: 6v to 12v conv. question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello everyone. My question is the following:
when I do the 6v to 12v conversion on my 8N Engine powered tractor, I plan on redoing ALL the ignition stuff(points,condeser, Dist Cap, spark plugs, spark plug wires, rotor, coil, etc.), apart from installing a 12v coil, do I need to be concerned about the other parts being 12 volt compatible? Are most of the replacement electrical parts(stuff I would buy from a catalog/website catering to N's)intended for a 6 volt system only? My gut tells me this is a silly question, but I want to be clear on what I need when I start ordering stuff. Thank you.

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 6v to 12v conv. question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

coil is it as far as ignition is concerned.. Otherwise, lights.

Karl Gant

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 6v to 12v conv. question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Awesome. Thanks very much!

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 6v to 12v conv. question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Coil or resistor for coil and lights. I would not change out everything at once. Do the 12V conversion, make sure it runs, then do the tune up. It is really hard to troubleshoot when you change more than one thing at a time.

36 Coupe
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 6v to 12v conv. question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Why change all the ignition parts?

Karl Gant

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 6v to 12v conv. question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Got it. Good point.

Karl Gant

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 6v to 12v conv. question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I just figured it would be a good idea, so I could get a solid baseline. I have no idea what the age is of all the items currently on the tractor. Since they are maintenance items, and I'm converting to 12v anyway, just do it all at once. This rig runs, but it needs to be gone thru completely, from a mechanical standpoint, b/c I don't know how well it has been maintained.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 6v to 12v conv. question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

8N engine can be front or side mount distributor which do you have??? Then we can go from there to tell you which way you need to go.

Dell (WA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 6v to 12v conv. question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Karl.......we've all flunked mind reading, so you really need to tell us iff'n yer dizzy is the weird 4-nipple frontmount ...or... the 5-nipple sidemount. You can count nipples can't you???

Surprizingly enuff, yer points and condenser are good fer about 200V, so 12V is NOT a problem.

The other thing you need to do is make certain ALL lights are changed to 12V.

And remember, even the 4-nipple 12V squarecan frontmount coil needs the MANDATORY "infamous ballast resistor".....NO ARGUE!!! .......Dell, yer self-appointed sparkie-meister who knows 8-ways to convert to 12-volts and they all work the first time

Karl Gant

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 6v to 12v conv. question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

side mount dizzy.

Karl Gant

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 6v to 12v conv. question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Definitely have the 5 nipple version. Thankfully, no lights to mess with...I plan on adding those later(much later)down the road.

oldtanker
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 6v to 12v conv. question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Karl, with the side mount you can use the 12 volt no external resitor required coil. Point and condenser don't really care about voltage. Add 12 volt lights and yer good to go.

Now if there are other mechanical issued....like low compression fix those problems first. 12 volt is an upgrade not a band aid.

Rick....with 2 N's converted to 12.....one IE.

Dell (WA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 6v to 12v conv. question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Karl........for the 5-nipple 12V conversion, we recommend the NAPA IC-14 roundcan coil, NO RESISTOR EVER. ($18, cheap) And it has HOTTER sparkies too. ........Dell, sparkie-meister

Karl Gant

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 6v to 12v conv. question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This is all fantastic info. Thanks so much for the speedy responses. The condition the tractor is in now is kind of: "where do I begin?" I have to have the radiator re-cored, the hoses are on their last legs, might as well get a new t-stat too...carb, I'm sure, could use a rebuild...plan on doing that, the outer jacketing/cover on the plug wires is cracked(2 wires are completely missing boots at the plug end). Don't know when the oil was last changed. This particular engine doesn't have an oil filter(which I found peculiar, until some fellow owners on another forum told me that it wasn't unusual). So, I'm going to plug away at these items just to get to where I can see what else needs to be done. Wish i knew how to post a pic, then you all could see what I'm up against(ha!). Looking forward to diggin into it regardless.

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 6v to 12v conv. question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When you get done with your conversion you will have years of trouble free tractoring. At least electrically.
12V is the only way to go.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.