Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Air filter modification

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vince Egan
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject: Air filter modification Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Anyone ever seen or done a mod to an 8n to be able to use
more modern paper or washable non oil bath filters?

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Air filter modification Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Why?

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Air filter modification Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ultradog MN wrote:
(quoted from post at 16:40:27 09/15/12) Why?
Because you can get 'more horsepower & better mileage' with a K&N! Don't you read the K&N adds in Hot Rod mag??!! Wink

Vince Egan
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Air filter modification Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My original is trashed. Might be a better deal up here at 8k feet to use replaceable filter like paper or K& N I use the K&N on my 66 390 ford.

Dave in Wyoming
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Air filter modification Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Seems like I saw a picture of a K&N filter on an N tractor. Just slipped over the carb opening and pointed straight back. Held in place with a hose clamp. Don"t know how well it will work with so much dust flying around a tractor. ???

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Air filter modification Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I wouldn't do it, but here is two variations:
http://www.ytmag.com/cgi-bin/viewit.cgi?bd=nboard&th=569972

And a third one!
http://www.ytmag.com/cgi-bin/viewit.cgi?bd=nboard&th=698243
This last one might actually be ok.
....but if really serious about clean air for engine Smile

Last edited by JMOR on Sat Sep 15, 2012 4:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
kylemorley
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Air filter modification Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What's really fun is when someone tries to get the best of both
worlds by spraying the K&N oil on a pleated paper filter - its so
thick it brings the airflow almost to a stop, like running the engine
all the time in full choke.

russb wa
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Air filter modification Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a geo metro 3 banger that has room for an oil bath. There just isn't much dust and I don't drive allot. But it would be interesting. I think a problem with OB filter is handling a high flow engine. Though, I do seem to recall OB on old ford V8s.

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Air filter modification Reply to specific post Reply with quote

russb wa wrote:
(quoted from post at 13:44:09 09/16/12) I have a geo metro 3 banger that has room for an oil bath. There just isn't much dust and I don't drive allot. But it would be interesting. I think a problem with OB filter is handling a high flow engine. Though, I do seem to recall OB on old ford V8s.
Original oil bath on my 1962 Chevy PU

R Geiger
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Air filter modification Reply to specific post Reply with quote

russb wa wrote:
(quoted from post at 02:44:09 09/17/12) I have a geo metro 3 banger that has room for an oil bath. There just isn't much dust and I don't drive allot. But it would be interesting. I think a problem with OB filter is handling a high flow engine. Though, I do seem to recall OB on old ford V8s.

t

My 1976 F250 4x4 came with an oil bath filter.

Bodo
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Air filter modification Reply to specific post Reply with quote

R Geiger wrote:

t

My 1976 F250 4x4 came with an oil bath filter.

An oil bath air cleaner?

36 Coupe
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Air filter modification Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Paper filters plug fast with dust,One wet with gas will plug even faster.

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Air filter modification Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What is "trashed" on yours?
I've got one I'm not using, thanks to replacement parts from Jim.UT
If you can make a good one out of yours and the parts I have send me an email.

36 Coupe
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:13 am    Post subject: Re: Air filter modification Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Early Ford V8s used an oiled mesh filter.Oil bath was an option until 1942.In any case a paper filter on an updraft carberator could become soaked with gas and catch fire.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.