Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Buried air line

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fixerupper
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:06 am    Post subject: Buried air line Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I plan to bury an airline to a building I remodeled into a truck shop for my son. What's the ceapest type of airline I can use that will hold up to direct burial and 175 PSI? I already have a 3/4" copper line buried from the big shop to the woodworking shop and this will continue out from the wood shop maybe 150'. Copper is out of the question unless a pot of gold falls in my lap real soon lOL. How would schedule 80 PVC work? Is black pipe adequate?

He will be using a 1" air wrench so I plan to continue with 3/4" air line. An idea that entered my mind is to have a 60 gallon air supply tank in the truck shop as it will be about 225 feet from the compressor. I've already found out a buried line will condense water underground, from an unpleasant experience in the wood shop, so I have the idea a supply tank in the truck shop will serve as a water trap along with it's main purpose of acting like a surge tank. Can a person get PVC in 20' lengths or would I have to glue together a bunch of 10 footers? Thanks. Jim

rustyfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Buried air line Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Fixerupper wrote:
(quoted from post at 12:06:15 09/16/12) I plan to bury an airline to a building I remodeled into a truck shop for my son. What's the ceapest type of airline I can use that will hold up to direct burial and 175 PSI? I already have a 3/4" copper line buried from the big shop to the woodworking shop and this will continue out from the wood shop maybe 150'. Copper is out of the question unless a pot of gold falls in my lap real soon lOL. How would schedule 80 PVC work? Is black pipe adequate?

He will be using a 1" air wrench so I plan to continue with 3/4" air line. An idea that entered my mind is to have a 60 gallon air supply tank in the truck shop as it will be about 225 feet from the compressor. I've already found out a buried line will condense water underground, from an unpleasant experience in the wood shop, so I have the idea a supply tank in the truck shop will serve as a water trap along with it's main purpose of acting like a surge tank. Can a person get PVC in 20' lengths or would I have to glue together a bunch of 10 footers? Thanks. Jim

My local plumbing and heating contractor has the pvc pipe in 20 foot lengths. The jury is still out on using pvc for compressed air, but personally I think schedule 80 would be just fine, especially buried underground, because the pvc won't rust. Black pipe is the old standby for use inside the shop, but I don't think I would want to bury it and expect it to not give problems.

Ivan in Mich
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Buried air line Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Pex tubing

BDT in Minnesota
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Buried air line Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Search pvc airline explosion.... Pvc is not intended nor rated for compressed air... When it fractures; it shatters... I did run 210 feet of 1" pvc line underground out to a shed.. Reason being; I used it in place of a tracer ribbon in a trench than holds an electrical conduit. AND, An air hose or line can be run inside the pvc..The pvc remains open on both ends.... Do a search on air rated nylon tube for something that is safe and affordable. That's my choice.

Last edited by BDT in Minnesota on Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
fixerupper
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Buried air line Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The explosion factor does concern me but it will be buried so I assume it won't be shattering underground. I did buy enough Pex to do the job but I'm sceptical of burying it. Another thought I had was 1 1/4" black pipe with the pex slid inside it but that will double the cost. Maybe it's worth it. Jim

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Buried air line Reply to specific post Reply with quote

PVC will make shrapnel when it explodes, you should avoid it. You could lay a larger PVC pipe like others suggested an put an air hose it it.

BDT in Minnesota
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Buried air line Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Run an extra line while you are at it- TV cable, phone etc..

Last edited by BDT in Minnesota on Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gary in da UP
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Buried air line Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm wondering why? wouln't you just install another compressor ???

fixerupper
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Buried air line Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The new shop only has 15 amp 120v power so it will only run maybe a 5 CFM 120v compressor and that won't cut it for truck tires. I'm only budgeting so much money each year for the project and new 240v service is down the road a ways. The first main goal now that the walls are done is cement floor, enough light to get by, a source of heat and enough air capacity to change tires on a truck. The compressor I do have is a high dollar commercial grade two stage 18 CFM and is underused so this the route I chose to go. Jim

Justin SE IOWA
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Buried air line Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I work in the water works industry and we use plastic poly water line that is rated for 200psi. I know other people that also use it for the exact same thing your wanting to do. It comes in rolls from 100' to 500'.

Tim in OR
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Buried air line Reply to specific post Reply with quote

a buddy of mine used the same plastic air line used on the big rigs to plumb his shop. He used 5/8" because that is what he got his hands on.
I think a tank at each shop would be a great idea.
Tim in OR

Hal/Eastern WA
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Buried air line Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Have you considered running some plastic conduit to protect the PEX in the ground? I bet you could run your electrical in the same conduit if you pulled the cable and PEX through together as you connect the sections of conduit. In my very rocky soil, I always put cable in conduit rather than risking direct burial. I haven"t had any buried electrical lines go bad yet and I think using conduit is worth the extra expense. Hard work to dig trenches here, and I don"t want to have to do them over.

I would also be worried about condensation in the buried air line. A fairly large pressure tank at the end of the buried line would be a good way of dealing with the condensation and giving a good way of draining it.

Before I did the installation, I would do some research with the manufacturer of the PEX to see what they think about using it for an air line long term. Almost everything I have ever heard about PEX is that it is a great choice for water lines. But I haven"t read much about using it for air lines. It sure seems easy to work with and isn"t THAT expensive. If you find out something, please let us know what you come up with. Good luck!

paul
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Buried air line Reply to specific post Reply with quote

PVC is a bad choice for air, if it ages, gets exposed to oil or sun for a while, or gets hit it can shatter into a lot of high-powered pieces.

In your case, the portions under ground that probably wouldn't be a problem but I'd be concered about any short exposed ends in each building.

I've heard pex works good, and the rapidair tubes work well.

--->Paul

Stephen Newell
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:14 am    Post subject: Re: Buried air line Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have worked around schedule 40 pvc used for air for 40 years and have never seen or heard from anyone I worked with about a pipe exploding on its own. Depending on the size pipe you use PVC pipe is rated at 270 psi or more for 1" or smaller pipe. I suspect the shrapnel stories are from people that came too close or exceeded that threshold. If you don't need 175 psi, you could regulate the pressure down to 100 psi and it would be even safer. I have worked for people that didn't know they need to properly secure the ends where you attach the air hose to. These I've seen get broken off but there was no shrapnel. I adapt to galvanized pipe to where I can securely fasten the pipe to the wall with the air coupler on it. As far as running underground I have my compressor 50' from my shop and have the pipe run underground and I also have another line run 200 yards to my house run underground with 3/4" schedule 40.

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:38 am    Post subject: Re: Buried air line Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a run underground in copper its extremely rare I see any water in my air... Any water I have seen is from the compressor... I have a auto drain on the one that makes water why it makes water I don't know other than I spec its the nature of the beast... I run that one in the cooler mo. and the one that don't in the warmer mo. The one that does not have a water issue has a filter with a drain between the pump and tank that catches most of the water before it gets in the tank,,, the one that has a water issue has the filter mounted at the tank were the air exits the tank....

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.