Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Water well pump pressure switch problem

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:24 am    Post subject: Water well pump pressure switch problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A couple days ago I got up to take a leak at around 5am and found I had no water. Went out to check what was going on in the well house. Found that one of the 2 power wires from the breaker panel was not making good contact so tapped on the switch and it kicked the pump on and I went to bed. Forgot about it till it happened again. Went to fix the problem and the screw broke off. Switch still works find but the wire is just on it by the pressure of a bend I made. I know if I try to drill the screw out I will mess up the tread so thinking I could drill it out slip in the wire in that hole then solder it in.
Does that sound like it would be a good and easy way to fix it.
And no I do not want to replace a $40 pressure switch if I can get a few more years out of it

Cold Beer
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Water well pump pressure switch problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Drill the screw out, attach the wire with a star washer and small bolt.

jackinok
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Water well pump pressure switch problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

you could,simply wire the two wires together and use one side of the switch, ive done that before when i couldnt get to town for a new switch.

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Water well pump pressure switch problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

old wrote:
(quoted from post at 11:24:19 09/18/12) A couple days ago I got up to take a leak at around 5am and found I had no water. Went out to check what was going on in the well house. Found that one of the 2 power wires from the breaker panel was not making good contact so tapped on the switch and it kicked the pump on and I went to bed. Forgot about it till it happened again. Went to fix the problem and the screw broke off. Switch still works find but the wire is just on it by the pressure of a bend I made. I know if I try to drill the screw out I will mess up the tread so thinking I could drill it out slip in the wire in that hole then solder it in.
Does that sound like it would be a good and easy way to fix it.
And no I do not want to replace a $40 pressure switch if I can get a few more years out of it

"A couple days ago I got up to take a leak at around 5am and found I had no water."
Dehydration! Not drinking enough! Laughing

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Water well pump pressure switch problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That is hard on the motor and also causes a power drain you have to pay for all day every day and my electric bills are to high as it is LOL.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Water well pump pressure switch problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Always has to be a joker in the crowd. If it was dehydration I would not have gotten out of bed LOL It was the opposite other then the fact the pump in the well did not work my pump worked just fine and that is why I wanted the other pump to work so as not to leave a smell behind that I did not want left there LOL

Russ from MN
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Water well pump pressure switch problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If it's 240, maybe if you have a leak! On 120 if you only break the hot wire there should be no current drain.

Uncle Ernie
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Water well pump pressure switch problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Breaking only one line of a 240 VAC motor will not cause a constant power drain. It will leave the windings "hot" but no energy will be used.I will not cause your power bill to go up one penny...

Russ from MN
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Water well pump pressure switch problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If it's a square D you used to be able to just buy the points.

John T
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Water well pump pressure switch problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A good soldered connection will likely do as good and better then the screw holding down on the wire, so why not "go for it" unless you wanna (after drilling out if you dont trash it lol) use a small screw and nut or re bore n re tap the hole. Unless theres a short, as long as you break only one of the hots the motor wont run nor will there be any current draw, although I always used a 2 pole breaker/switch/contactor to open BOTH hots to turn off a 240 volt motor.

John T

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Water well pump pressure switch problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Points are not the problem it is the $crew you use to hook the wires on an one of them broke. I have it fixed now used my 260 watt soldering gun to solder it on

George Marsh
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Water well pump pressure switch problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

OLD,
Your pressure switch is a double pole single throw switch. Why can't you just connect the broken side directly to the pump and use the other side to open the circuit?

If you have a 120v pump, connect the neutral directly to the pump and use switch to break the power leg.

Does this violate any NEC codes?

George

John T
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Water well pump pressure switch problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yo George, you ask "Does this violate any NEC codes"

As most here know Im rusty as an old nail on the latest NEC having retired as an EE in 1991 HOWEVER I can tell you anytime I installed a switch or safety switch or combination starter or contactor or circuit breaker or pressure switch etc on a 240 volt motor I ALWAYS USED A TWO POLE TO BREAK BOTH LEGS and I "suspect" its indeed a NEC violation to only break one leg on motor loads. Of course, on 120 volt you are only required to switch the hot leg not the Neutral which is grounded.

My old code book is pretty dusty lol

John T

Russ from MN
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Water well pump pressure switch problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I believe the terminal is part of the stationary point.

George Marsh
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Water well pump pressure switch problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

JohnT,
I have a 12 year old Rudd A/C 220v. The motor contactor only broke 1 leg. When it went bad this past summer, I replaced it with a 2 pole. Every 220v window A/C I ever worked on only broke one leg.

SOOOOOOOOOOO it may be in violation of NEC, but if Old doesn't want to replace the switch do you think the NEC police will give him a ticket if he only breaks one leg? Smile I know I would until I went to town and got a replacement switch.

George

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.