Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Adding power steering to 601 ???

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mandomaniac
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:17 am    Post subject: Adding power steering to 601 ??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I know this might sound crazy, but while I was splitting my Ford 601 to replace clutch, I got to thinking about converting to power steering. This has 172 engine. Added 720 front end loader and is primarily used to move and stack round bales. But welded up a quick connect system to use bale spear, bucket, forklift,etc.
Your arms sure get a workout as it is. HAHA
First off....is it even possible?
Second.....is it affordable?
Any thoughts/advise would sure be appreciated.
Thanks!

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Adding power steering to 601 ??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

possible? sure.. power steering was an option for the 00.

you could find a machine with a blown engine or rear that has ps and scabb all the aprts off of it.. or get a conversion system for about a grand new.. or plan the loader and pump setup with an orbital valve and use that loader pump to power both with a priority valve.. etc.

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Adding power steering to 601 ??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

email me.. i know where a comlete ps setup for an 01 is for sale

Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Adding power steering to 601 ??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There is also a complete set-up in the ads on the "other" Ford site.

Dean

Kurt-NEPA
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Adding power steering to 601 ??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I did the swap on my 660. The donor was a 661. Works great, but it wasn't cheap. Between buying the used parts, rebuilding the steering gear valve, and replacing the hoses, I have over a $1000 into it. It was worth it.

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding power steering to 601 ??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

yup

Texasmark1
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: Adding power steering to 601 ??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I restored a 4000 once that had PS. The pump was shot so rather than buy an OEM pump, I went to the auto salvage yard and got a pump from a car and used that, building the suitable adapter.

The problem with it was that the flow rate was too low for a tractor with 2 pistons and a pto speed at 1600. It took forever for it to turn and after awhile, I just took it off. I couldn't change the pulley ratio to speed it up as it was driven off a double chev and the other slot was where my fan drive was hooked up.

Soooo if you cobble one together, get one with a suitable pump volume.

Mark

Mandomaniac
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding power steering to 601 ??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks to soundguy....I bit for the power steering assembly from Brian. It arrived quickly and hope to have it on this weekend.
Hey...since folks here are Ford folks, I posted a question in the Paint section....but can't hurt to ask here......is the Ford Red Majic acrylic paint with hardener from TSC reasonably close to original 601 color?
Figured I would paint this beast since I have it about totally torn down.

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding power steering to 601 ??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

reasonably close? sure... ford red is a werid one.. depends on the orange tone.. etc..

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.