Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Whats next?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
farmall99
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:18 am    Post subject: Whats next? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Alright guys, I have an M Farmall and I'm looking for opinions on what I need to do. Tractor has 4 1/8" pistons, propane head and a modded governor. Dynos in the 70 hp range with 110 hot gas. Looking for more power and was wondering if I need to step up the carb or start looking at cams. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks Zach

Dodgeit
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Whats next? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Unless your well past 10-1 compression, your using the wrong fuel. Up to 10 -1 I would use 92-93 octane. Below 9-1 I would run regular unleaded.

bp4455
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Whats next? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

unless you can turn open rpms thats the limit. its
time to add some cubes

farmall99
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Whats next? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well our rules around here are pretty lax, so rpm's is not a factor. Had been toying with the idea of running dual h carbs, also have a JD 3020 carb too to play with as well. Just looking for some opinions on what to do on the cheap if possible.

jd b puller
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Whats next? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How much cylinder pressure do you have?

High Octane
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Whats next? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

find a W9 carb, or have your current carb bored out to use a 806 butterfly. a 33 or 35 venturi, if your at 200psi or less the 110 fuel is killing your torque curve. think of 50/50 mix of 87 n E85 for better results. then maybe have a cam built by Bullet.

farmall99
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Whats next? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Last time we checked it had around 220 psi cranking compression if I remember right. It also seemed to detonate with 93 gas and when bumped up to 110 all of it went away.

Last edited by farmall99 on Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:43 am; edited 1 time in total
High Octane
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Whats next? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

no doubt shed knock on 93 alone. 110 is a fast, hot burning fuel. you want a cool, slow burning fuel to keep the explosion pushing down, longer, timewise, vs a quick flash fuel. 87 n e85 will run 275psi at 50/50 mix. if you can get it try it n dyno it. its worth the effort. then start leanin the ethanol with more gas till you find the perfect octane n makes the most power. been there, done it. could be worth 10hp or more if you play with this type of fuel. if not, keep runnin 110 n live with what ya got.

LarryM
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Whats next? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 301 carb that my size 36 venturi came out of. I will have to look at that butterfly! Thank You!

farmall99
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Whats next? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hmm may have to look into the 806 butterfly and bigger venturi

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Pulling All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.