Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

3 point log splitter build.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Puddles
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject: 3 point log splitter build. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

In the process of building a log splitter for my brother-n-law. So far everything has come out of my scrap pile, and the bone yard. But tomorrow its off to the hydraulic shop for some JIC fittings, that should hurt his pocket book! Laughing

By von3 at 2012-09-18

By von3 at 2012-09-18

By von3 at 2012-09-18

By von3 at 2012-09-18

By von3 at 2012-09-18

By von3 at 2012-09-18

By von3 at 2012-09-18

By von3 at 2012-09-18

By von3 at 2012-09-18

By von3 at 2012-09-18

By von3 at 2012-09-18

By von3 at 2012-09-18

By von3 at 2012-09-18

Billy NY
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 3 point log splitter build. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Horizontal or vertical for a 3 pt, less work for you, or you might need a log lift if it did not hinge, looks like a nice job on it too !

Puddles
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 3 point log splitter build. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks Billy!
He is gonna have to buy a small boat winch to lay it over. Once it is started over, it is really balanced well. Just all he!! to get it started over! Shocked

guido
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 3 point log splitter build. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello Puddles,
Yeap! I agree a a nice job! That is scrach built for sure. I would think that there maybe a weak point where the I beam is welded to the plate?
Some gussets may be needed?
Guido.

Lanse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 3 point log splitter build. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Wow, nicely done!! Smile

Puddles
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 3 point log splitter build. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi guido!
That is a 6 x 17.25# S-shape, right now it is only tacked. First thing tomorrow morning I put 3-passes all the way around it with 7018. I thought about some gussets, but just don't know. I think I'll send it home with him like this. He has forgotten more about welding than I'll ever know, so if it breaks, he can handle it. Laughing

Thanks Lanse! Wink

guido
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 3 point log splitter build. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello Puddles,
I guess he'll be able to glue it up if needed.
I'm betting that it will be needed.
Guido.

Dalet
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 3 point log splitter build. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How big a log will it handle? 24"? What happens when the cylinder bottoms on the plate- it looks like the cylinder will extend well past the plate?

Ted in NE-OH

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 3 point log splitter build. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Put some trays on each side so you don't have to bend over and pick up split wood off of the ground.

Puddles
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 3 point log splitter build. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi Dalet! There is a 26-inch gap when the cylinder is retraced, and a 1-inch gap between the wedge and the plate when fully extended.

Hi Ted! That is a good idea, I will pass it on to my brother-n-law. Wink

rc h20 less

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 3 point log splitter build. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You have any more sisters?
Nice job. Any concerns about the flat plate under the wedge jamming up the log? I know everyone's a got something to say...which reminds me of a classic Teddy Roosevelt quote.

"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."

Stick welding

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 3 point log splitter build. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Looks good! You might need a vented cap for the
hydraulic tank. They usually have a filter in them
and aren't expensive.

Stick welding

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 3 point log splitter build. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

"You must always push the limits because if you never fail... You can never succeed!"

rc h20 less

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 3 point log splitter build. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Short days are a coming. A rear light would be great as well. No reason to waste day light hours splitting wood. Save it for the 6-9pm shift.

Puddles
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 3 point log splitter build. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dave we have a vented plug that is 1/2-inch NPT. Not sure if I'm going to drill a hole in that cap, and weld a bushing on it for the vented plug, or just drill and tap the cap for the vented plug. Confused

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.