Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Running E85? Compression?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mopower
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject: Running E85? Compression? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is anyone using E85 out there? What compression ratio are you using? Compression psi check? Detonation? It's cheap and available. I thought I'd try it in a fairly stock engine with 9.2 to 9.8:1 compression. The government octane rating on this stuff is misleading propoganda, but it's still a step up from premium.

Thanks.

P.S. I'm talking old tractors here, not new cars or hot rods.

H-66
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Running E85? Compression? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am running E-85 in my 45 farmall H. It"s about 10:1 compression, last time I checked the cylinder pressure was mid 190"s. Seems to run good on it but I have not had a chance to dyno it to see if it"s actually better than 110 octane at $7 a gallon. Only bad thing is it collects moisture when the tractor sits in the shed over the course of a week. It sure doesn"t seem to be any worse than the race gas for performance.

MLPANKEY

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Running E85? Compression? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

you can run 10 to 11.1 relatively higher compression with any pump gas if you use motorcycle plugs

Ole Johnny
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Running E85? Compression? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

E85, if im not mistaken, is supposed to be 85% methanol and 15% gasolene. Since methanol is VERY high octain fuel, when you diloute it with a 15% mixture of gas, it shoudl still be WAY up there in octain. You should be able to run 10 to 1 easily I would think.
As you stated, its a tractor and not a drag car but I used methanol in my supercharged drag car that had static compression of 11 to one and at full boost the compression ratio went up to near 30 to 1. So E85 should handle lots of compression and pressure.

Ole Johnny
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Running E85? Compression? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

E85 might be made from Ethanol instead of Methanol. But same outcome..

Hittin' Hard
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Running E85? Compression? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm running it in a decent sized unstyled jd b and it seems to really do pretty good on it.

jd b puller
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Running E85? Compression? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Mopower wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:23:00 09/18/12) Is anyone using E85 out there? What compression ratio are you using? Compression psi check? Detonation? It's cheap and available. I thought I'd try it in a fairly stock engine with 9.2 to 9.8:1 compression. The government octane rating on this stuff is misleading propoganda, but it's still a step up from premium.

Thanks.

P.S. I'm talking old tractors here, not new cars or hot rods.

Ethan, I ran my 442CI B with 11:1 compression on it and it seemed to really like it.

Allis Fields
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Running E85? Compression? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

what are the fuel delivery consers running e85 ? like type of fuel line filter shut off valve carb gaskets. I know that gas with 10% ethonal a chain saw or lawn mower weed waker gets all gumed up and eats away at the fuel system.

39MPuller
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Running E85? Compression? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am running a 50/50 mixture of E85 and 93 in a Farmall Super M with 215 cranking pressure and it works outstanding. I actually gained about 3 horse onthe dyno when switching. My guess would be the gas helps it burn a little slower than the 110 octane racing fuel. I have since converted several other tractor in he pulling club with very similar results.

BL puller
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: Running E85? Compression? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Would E 85 help or lower performance with lower compression engines? (stock compression) Just looking for something extra in stock classes.

Ole Johnny
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: Running E85? Compression? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

NO, it would most likely hurt performance. High octain is used ONLY to facilitate higher compression so detination wont occur. High compression fuel burns 'slower' and thus would make less power

Ole Johnny
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: Running E85? Compression? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I was told several times by Top Alcohol Dragster pit crues that Methanon or Ethanol are rated at 140 octain. So using it in any gas formula would raise the octain rating BUT unless you use alot more of it when done so, you are running a lean condition as alcohol is about 8 to 1 ratio as compared to 14 to 1 gas ratio to run properly

Ole Johnny
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: Running E85? Compression? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

442 ci B engine!!! You make me feel like my A is a lawn-mower. LOL
Hey, thanks for all your help Ray.

High Octane
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Running E85? Compression? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

39M,, try your mix with 87 octane instead of 93. itll give you a bit more power n still be fine. I ran 275psi on 50/50 87 n e85. gained me 10ft! dont run e85 straight. Use it with your pump gas to control detonation n preignition. a lil goes a long way on your checkbook.

Pmer
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Running E85? Compression? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here in Minnesota on the pump it says that E85 is a minmum of 70% Ethanol. They use corn to make it. So at one point in the process it is pure grain alcohol that you can drink. But it's denatured before it is mixed with gas.

They also make some rreeaallyy smooth vodka called Shakers.

I have run it un mixed in a couple fairly stock tractors with no trouble. Just have to open the load circut so you can stall it on the rich side.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Pulling All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.