Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Auto Dimming Welding Helmet

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fred from MO
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:11 am    Post subject: Auto Dimming Welding Helmet Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Wow, I just purchased an auto dimming welding helmet. I never had one of these. I had to weld something where I had to stick my neck up around something and couldnt flip the old style helmet down so I thought I would go out and get one and move into the modern age. Wow!! That thing is the best thing since sliced bread for a novice guy like myself. I bought a Miller Pro Hobby. So far I am impressed. No more flipping down the hood or welding an inch off for me!!

rustyfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Auto Dimming Welding Helmet Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Fred from MO wrote:
(quoted from post at 07:11:06 09/19/12) Wow, I just purchased an auto dimming welding helmet. I never had one of these. I had to weld something where I had to stick my neck up around something and couldnt flip the old style helmet down so I thought I would go out and get one and move into the modern age. Wow!! That thing is the best thing since sliced bread for a novice guy like myself. I bought a Miller Pro Hobby. So far I am impressed. No more flipping down the hood or welding an inch off for me!!

I got the Lincoln 3350. It's actually fun to weld again because now I can see what I'm doing.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Auto Dimming Welding Helmet Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There ok if your the one welding but me I'll never ever use one of them again. I had to many nights of going to the hospital due to burned eyes from having one and being where others where also welding. All my helmets I have now I use the gold plated lens in

George Marsh
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Auto Dimming Welding Helmet Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Old, the auto dimming helmets may not be the best. However, I got more flashes using the old style helmet. Rod would strike before I got the helmet down. I too only weld once in a while. Love mine. My eyes are ok. Maybe the flashes have something to do with my memory, I Can't Remember Stuff, CRS.

George

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Auto Dimming Welding Helmet Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Been welding since I was 16 and never had a problem with the old type helmets but the auto type got me about once a week or more when I welded for a living. I'll stay with my old type with the gold plated lens

curtis larson
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Auto Dimming Welding Helmet Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Do not buy from Harbor ft. Buy a name brand and you will be happy

sd pete
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Auto Dimming Welding Helmet Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My son is a tig welder and thats all he will use. His is expensive don"t know what brand he uses.

tomturkey
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto Dimming Welding Helmet Reply to specific post Reply with quote

can magnification lenses be had with auto darkening????

rustyfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto Dimming Welding Helmet Reply to specific post Reply with quote

tomturkey wrote:
(quoted from post at 14:03:04 09/19/12) can magnification lenses be had with auto darkening????

Yes. Mine has a slot specifically for that purpose. So far, I don't feel the need for a magnification lens because my helmet has the LARGE window, which allows me to use my tri-focal glasses and focus through whichever portion is appropriate.

jon f mn
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto Dimming Welding Helmet Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Been using mine for more than 20 years. Got burnt eye the first time I used it, and the salesman said I would, but havn't had any problems since. I keep my old one around for when the batteries go dead, but most of the time when that happens I just make the trip to town.

George Marsh
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto Dimming Welding Helmet Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Old, My dad had an old lincoln welder. I know what it feels like to get too many flashes, Hot burning sand in the eyes. Never got that much exposure with my Auto Dimming helmet. Doesn"t seem to bother my eyes. Don"t make a living welding either. I love my helmet. Definately better for my eyes, because of all the mistakes I make without using it.
George

timcasbolt
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto Dimming Welding Helmet Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've got a HF auto-darkening helmet. Adjustable from 9-13. Works very well. Had it about 5 years.

Dale in WV
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto Dimming Welding Helmet Reply to specific post Reply with quote

got one from Lowes - its not batteries, but solar powered - like it so much, ordered one for a neighbor, too.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto Dimming Welding Helmet Reply to specific post Reply with quote

They maybe ok in a home shop but not mu home shop. Did welding for a living and spent to many nights with burned eyes and sand in them and hospital trips at 1am so they are not for me. Son learned the same thing as I did when he was in the navy and did welding. He used the auto dark helmets a few times and said NO WAY he too did not like burned eyes

Stuart
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Auto Dimming Welding Helmet Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That is because you used the cheap ones.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.