Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Replacement head bolts

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AllisG
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:51 am    Post subject: Replacement head bolts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Puting new pistons and crank in a ford 8n and I did this at my local high school and somebody stole 1 of the head bolts for the engine. But just 1 probly throw it across our shop at somebody... As for the question Is the bolts used to hold the head on a certain grade or a special bolt or can i go to the local true value and pick up a simple bulk bolt and put in the engine?

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement head bolts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

gr8 or 10 is what I would use.. might have had a 5 in it before.. but i'd go 8 min

Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement head bolts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you want your replacement head bolt to be identical to the OEM bolts, you will need to get an OEM bolt at a salvage yard, as the OEM bolts are not standard.

Dean

TheOldHokie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement head bolts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

AllisG wrote:
(quoted from post at 13:51:18 09/19/12) Puting new pistons and crank in a ford 8n and I did this at my local high school and somebody stole 1 of the head bolts for the engine. But just 1 probly throw it across our shop at somebody... As for the question Is the bolts used to hold the head on a certain grade or a special bolt or can i go to the local true value and pick up a simple bulk bolt and put in the engine?

The OEM bolts are 7/16-14 x 2-3/8" long. A common 7/16-14 x 2-1/2" grade 8 cap screw will work just fine. Because it is slightly longer make sure it is used in one of the holes that go through into the water jacket.

TOH

Last edited by TheOldHokie on Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacement head bolts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

TheOldHokie wrote:
(quoted from post at 01:11:51 09/20/12)
AllisG wrote:
(quoted from post at 13:51:18 09/19/12) Puting new pistons and crank in a ford 8n and I did this at my local high school and somebody stole 1 of the head bolts for the engine. But just 1 probly throw it across our shop at somebody... As for the question Is the bolts used to hold the head on a certain grade or a special bolt or can i go to the local true value and pick up a simple bulk bolt and put in the engine?

The OEM bolts are 7/16-14 x 2-3/8" long. A common 7/16-14 x 2-1/2" grade 8 cap screw will work just fine. Because it is slightly longer make sure it is used in one of the holes that go through into the water jacket.

TOH

Are wack a 1/8 off... are use it anywhere but the manifold side of the engine....

NOXJohn
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:57 am    Post subject: Re: Replacement head bolts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I purchased replacement head bolts from Fastenal. They were 7/16"-14X2&1/2" yellow zinc finish SAE j429 Grade 8 Hex Cap Screws Part#0115163. The was cost $0.896/each. All the head bolt holes were open into the water jacket in the three 8Ns I have rebuilt. If any hole looks blocked dig around and see if it is not just years of corrosion. I used a washer only because the head on the new bolt was not as big as the original and I liked the look. The washer from Fastenal was a 7/16" yellow zinc finish SAE Tru-Hardened flat washer Part# 1133816. The cost was $0.1912/each. I used Teflon paste seal on all bolts. I did not cut anything off any of the bolts.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.