Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Name That Part Game

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tn8n
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:16 pm    Post subject: The Name That Part Game Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Found this in the back section of the oil pan nearest the transmission, not in the oil. Most curious about the large e-ring. The small disc is roughly the size of a penny, it and the other ring were farther back up in the bellhousing. I wondered if maybe these parts were replaced at some earlier time and the old ones were dropped or left in there, it was driving fine and didn't seem like anything was amiss. The large ring appears to be broken to me. I don't really think the little disc is actually a part of something, it almost seems like a tab that's meant to be broken off, kind of like a knockout in an electrical box, if that makes sense.

Last edited by tn8n on Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
jackinok
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: The Name That Part Game Reply to specific post Reply with quote

parts of an old starter bendix looks to me

John Smith8N
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: The Name That Part Game Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That's the remains of an old starter drive (Bendix). Almost every N tractor has one or two of those inside the housing.

tn8n
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: The Name That Part Game Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dang, that's it no doubt. Thanks!

Hey by the way I need a new front drag link end and I noticed they sell one 1/16"th longer, what's that about? How do you know which you need?

The end of the threads on mine is crudely ground off at an angle to the point the castle nut won't thread back on, so it makes me think it was too long and was either ground off, or hit the front axle until it wore down.

All that said, I'm thinking I need the shorter one.

jackinok
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: The Name That Part Game Reply to specific post Reply with quote

does it hit the front axle now? what i personaly would suspect is that someone beat it out one time and had to grind it down to get rid of the flaired end they made. i dont recall them being so close to the front axle that 1/16" would make a difference but i'll look when i get to the house.

murn ga
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: The Name That Part Game Reply to specific post Reply with quote

And an expansion plug for 2nd gear shift rail, I think.Many are missing and do fine.

tn8n
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: The Name That Part Game Reply to specific post Reply with quote

that's what i was thinking is why would 1/16 matter. the thread direction and diameter is the same on both.
it didn't hit anything, but now that it's all taken apart it's not so easy to go back and see just how close it was. mainly it had a lot of slop so i wanted to replace them while i'm doing all this other stuff, and the threads are so buggered up i couldn't put it back anyway.

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: The Name That Part Game Reply to specific post Reply with quote

deffinately starter drive parts..

jackinok
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: The Name That Part Game Reply to specific post Reply with quote

sorry i didnt get back with you last night,boss lady had to go hold the new grandbaby.shouldnt be any problem being 1/16 longer.on both a 52 8n and a 46 2n i have here both clear the axle an inch or so. before you screw it out of the adjuster piece mark your toe in toe out.supposed to have a indexing mark but sometimes they are hard to find under several layers of paint.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.