Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

what am i missing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CAROGATOR
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:12 pm    Post subject: what am i missing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What would I be giving up in capabilities by buying a 225 AC welder instead of a 225AC/DC?
I just do general welding repairs around the farm and small trailers.
Thanks for any info.

Puddles
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: what am i missing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

DC has a smoother, and more stable arc! Wink

DC welder

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: what am i missing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You'd have a lot more frustration with AC only but why not look an inverter based DC machine that will cost less than the AC/DC Lincoln and be a much better machine.

CAROGATOR
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: what am i missing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This is a Linde 225AC with two cheap helmets and six tubes of various rods(1 pound each) for $75.
Would it still be worthwhile?

Bernie/MA

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: what am i missing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I did all my welding on the farm for 20 years with a Lincoln 180 amp ac machine and still use it (with 7014 rods) when something is too big to get inside. It's just inside the door. The MIG is in back. I have a Miller welder/generator I bought for my business but mostly use it now for when the power goes out.

Puddles
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: what am i missing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Linde use to make some great machines! For $75.00 that would be very hard to pass up. If you do buy it, get some Hobart 335A 6011, that rod is child's play to run. Few months ago a member on another site came to my shop for me to give him some pointers on welding. He brought some 7018 AC, first time I ever ran any, again child's play!

cargator

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: what am i missing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks Puddles and Bernie, that is what I needed to know.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: what am i missing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Shoot your almost getting the welder for free and just buying the rod depending on what rod it is. Almost no way you can go wrong with a deal like that

GeneMO
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: what am i missing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I started welding in 1966 when I was 12. My dad took an adult welding class at the local high school, came home and taught me.

I won the state FFA Farm Mechanics award two years in a row. That was in 1971 and 1972. Built an auger wagon, picnic tables, carry all , etc.

Now, granted we didnt' know any better. And I still dont. I am not knocking the newer, better welders. It's just that I have never used them. Probably would love em if I had one. But you can live with just an old AC. If you dont want to do thin stuff.

I hope to get a MIG someday.

Just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Gene

Bud in WV
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: what am i missing Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Lowes usually has 7018 in 5 & 10 pound boxes, too. 7018 AC seems a lot easier to run than DC, too.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.