Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Air Cut Off - Super 99 3-71

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ezed
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Air Cut Off - Super 99 3-71 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

3-71 detroits, as used in a super 99, do not have air cut offs as do 4-53's in the 1900's and 2-53's in the 435 John Deere. I wonder why?? Has anyone found a simple way to install an air cut off on their 3-71? I was told that one off a 6-71 will fit however I am doubtful that oem air cleaner will line up. I worry about a stuck rack. ideas???

OLarry from MD
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Air Cut Off - Super 99 3-71 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The air cut off is supposed to be on there, i have seen them.On a 53 series it is a trip, on a 71 series it's a lever and cable to pull on and off.

ezed
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Air Cut Off - Super 99 3-71 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I see no evidence of one ever being on this tractor. Likewise, of the dozen or so super 99's I have viewed none had an air cut off. Maybe it was an option.

gordey
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Air Cut Off - Super 99 3-71 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

3-71 olivers never came with one, if its a good running tractor its not likely to runaway, but a stuck rack is not uncommon if the tractors sat for a long time

duane o.
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Air Cut Off - Super 99 3-71 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

positive air shutoffs were not a option on the tractors and were optional on all detroits from small to big. most shutoffs were used in oilfield areas of the country due to the gasses in the air around well sites.this is where to look if you were to find a used one.

mm585
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Air Cut Off - Super 99 3-71 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I just restored a 1950 MFD it had one, It even had a decal on the dash that said emergency shut off.

60 Fan
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Air Cut Off - Super 99 3-71 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

[q Very Happy uote="ezed"](reply to post at 16:00:57 09/20/12) [/quote]

Just another FYI, We had them on most older fire trucks with Detroit's. Older Pirsch, etc. Again as another reply has stated there was always the possibility of being in a combustible gas environment that could cause a runaway. Chances are you could find one of these in bigger salvage yards locally.

johncc
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Air Cut Off - Super 99 3-71 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

we have 4- olivers with 371 d. nown have shutt offs. no place for them. if starts to run away
shutt air off at air clearner.

OLarry from MD
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Air Cut Off - Super 99 3-71 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Probably a replacement engine.

johns
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Air Cut Off - Super 99 3-71 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have also been looking into doing this to my 99gm. One idea I"m looking into is some of my Oliver puller buddies have installed air shut-offs on their 1955 and 1850 pullers. Mills Fleet-Farm sells a guilotine that they use for less than $20. I"m wondering if a guy can install it between the blower and the intake that has GM stamped on it. That way the original air cleaners can be used.

ezed
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Air Cut Off - Super 99 3-71 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I see no reason why a cut off between the blower inlet and air cleaners would not work. What is the mills fleet farm cut off designed for??? What do they call it? Part number? I have been unable to find it on their web site

larry duda
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Air Cut Off - Super 99 3-71 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You can modify your injector fuel rack . If an injector sticks the other 2 will return to idle.Larry

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Oliver, Cletrac, Coop and Cockshutt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.