Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Working on my 860

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LME
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: Working on my 860 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Replacing valve cover gasket, do I need to use a gasket cement? Also the pushrod side gasket. Thanks

Bern
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Working on my 860 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It would be a good idea if you want a leak proof joint. Cork gaskets don't do so well without a little help. Just keep in mind that if you do, you'll be cursing that decision if you ever need to take it back off. You pretty much have to rip the gasket in half to get the cover off, and then do a bunch of scraping.

cemeyer
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Working on my 860 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What I've always done on valve cover gaskets, is to glue them to the valve cover with weatherstrip adhesive. Seem to work very well. Don't use rtv. It will eventually make the gasket squirt out.
Curt

Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: Working on my 860 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Like CE below, I usually attach them to the rocker arm cover to facilitate installation while allowing removal for adjustment, etc.

I find cork to be the best of all gasket materials for such applications and have never seen one leak when properly installed.

The same procedure eill work well for the side cover gaskets.

Dean

Brad_bb
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Working on my 860 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Good post. I used just the cork alone, and had to readjust and then got oil leaks all summer from my valve and rocker covers. Over the winter I will regasket this way.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Working on my 860 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

In theory you do not need any sticky stuff to do the job but me I always use some silicone sealer and that way O know it does not leak and also makes it easier to install

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Working on my 860 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

might use some non hardening permatex.. or not.. your call.

my fell pro set went on pretty good.. it was ruberized cork though.. not straight cork

Brad_bb
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Working on my 860 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

soundguy, Do you have part numbers or where to get the FelPro ones for the tractor?

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Working on my 860 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i'm sure I do somewhere.. :)

got em from napa..

will look for the numbers.. think I saved the tag on the box stashed somewhere in the shop.

Don Olsufka
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Working on my 860 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Always clean the gasket surfaces with lacquer
thinner, acetone or something like that and the
gaskets will always have a better chance of sealing.

Brad_bb
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Working on my 860 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I always see Indian Head Shellac at the autoparts store (Napa). Who is using it and why do they choose that?

36 Coupe
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:06 am    Post subject: Re: Working on my 860 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Indian Head gasket shellac makes a good sub for Loc Tite.I had a 22 revolver that the barrel would loosen while shooting.A coat of IH fixed the problem.It has its uses but sticks things together pretty tight.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: Working on my 860 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I use gasket sealer sometimes. I like High Tack, and I spray it on whichever side which will be easier to clean it from at some future disassembly. On my latest motor job the valve cover gasket came as a thick rubber one which squeezes tightly in the channel made for the gasket, and it takes a good squish no problem. Many on this forum advise against RTV silicone due to the problem with a small glob coming loose inside where you will never see it, and subsequently blocking an oil gallery resulting in the need for major repair.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.