Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which end up? Power steering ??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:23 pm    Post subject: Which end up? Power steering ?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I posted this question and a couple pictures on the Ford forum this morning
but haven't gotten any responses yet.
I'm looking for advice on which way to install the power steering motor on my Jubilee.
I forget the brand name of the PS unit, it's aftermarket, came off an x00, 640 I think.

Ford Forum

TheOldHokie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Which end up? Power steering ?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Royse wrote:
(quoted from post at 20:23:38 09/22/12) I posted this question and a couple pictures on the Ford forum this morning
I'm looking for advice on which way to install the power steering motor on my Jubilee.
I forget the brand name of the PS unit, it's aftermarket, came off an x00, 640 I think.

Ford Forum

It's not a motor - it's a pump. I doubt it makes any operational difference but I would expect the hoses to connect from the bottom. I would not be at all sure it is bi-directional - most pumps are not.

TOH

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Which end up? Power steering ?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

TheOldHokie wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:59:55 09/23/12)
Royse wrote:
(quoted from post at 20:23:38 09/22/12) I posted this question and a couple pictures on the Ford forum this morning

Ford Forum

It's not a motor - it's a pump. I doubt it makes any operational difference but I would expect the hoses to connect from the bottom. I would not be at all sure it is bi-directional - most pumps are not.

TOH

Thanks TOH, maybe I'm not using the correct term for it.
This is the controlling valve in the power steering unit.
It mounts in the steering column, one hose coming from the pump,
one hose returning to the tank and two going to the cylinder that helps move the steering drag link.
The only diagram I've seen for this thing labeled it a motor, even though it
obviously does not work as one.

Last edited by Royse on Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kurt-NEPA
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Which end up? Power steering ?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is this what you are talking about Royse?

Maybe these pics will help.

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Which end up? Power steering ?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Same idea Kurt, same "valve" function, but the one I have is aftermarket.
Here are the pictures.
First one is the way I think it should go, with the return on bottom.
Second one is just upside down, with the return hose off.

Last edited by Royse on Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
TheOldHokie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: Which end up? Power steering ?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Royse wrote:
(quoted from post at 21:34:57 09/23/12) Same idea Kurt, same "valve" function, but the one I have is aftermarket.
Here are the pictures.
First one is the way I think it should go, with the return on bottom.
Second one is just upside down, with the return hose off.

My bad - sounded lik eyou were talking about the pump. Embarassed

TOH

Kurt-NEPA
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Which end up? Power steering ?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

From you description Royse, it sounded like you had something different than I did, but it was worth a try.....

I hope you get it straightened out.

Kurt

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Which end up? Power steering ?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Its hard to help someone who's not using the correct terminology.
I certainly appreciate the effort.

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Which end up? Power steering ?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It's a different style Kurt, but those pictures definitely help explain what
I'm working on and where.
Thanks for posting them.

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Which end up? Power steering ?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Royce, if you can't find any info on that unit & have to go it on your own, then you might learn something by applying rotational forces to shafts & looking for flow paths to open & close (air pressure). From others I have seen, there may be a check valve in the line from pump to prevent back flow into pump output. If in yours, that might yield a clue.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.